label printer in-house

Beauport Bob

Any advice out there about in-house label printers for very short run products. I know it would be expensive at about a $2000. investment, plus ink, stock, etc. I remember a thread where R. Hobbs recommended Quicklabel.com.

Any comments or perhaps a machine for sale?

Cheers,

Bob

Any advice out there about in-house label printers for very short run products. I know it would be expensive at about a $2000. investment, plus ink, stock, etc. I remember a thread where R. Hobbs recommended Quicklabel.com.

Any comments or perhaps a machine for sale?

Cheers,

Bob

Cheaper, but only for short runs might be the Primera LX400 (there is also a cheaper B&W version LX200). About $1K from Amazon and many others.

Bob,

Instead of investing in labels and labeling equipment, have youthoughht of screen-printing your label design directly onto the glass? We can do this if you're interested.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call / email me. Thanks

Derek Payne

Universal Packaging Inc.

www.unipack.ca

tel: 1-866-549-1323 ex217

Agree with the Primera idea. There's also several other commercial grade dye-sub printers out there. Can print to waterproof type paper label stock.

My son made labels for our equipment on regular vinyl stock. Multi-color, waterproof, cut on a regular vinyl cutter. Much cheaper than sending out for 100 labels.

Check with your local vinyl sign printer shop, work out something with them I'm sure.

Can you do this for whisky too? If you can could you e-mail me some photos, I am wondering how it looks as opposed to on clear spirits.

Bob,

Instead of investing in labels and labeling equipment, have youthoughht of screen-printing your label design directly onto the glass? We can do this if you're interested.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call / email me. Thanks

Derek Payne

Universal Packaging Inc.

www.unipack.ca

tel: 1-866-549-1323 ex217

Bob,

Quicklabel is one of the print on demand companies that have been around the longest. I have lots of customers who use this brand and have great success. There are also other manufacturers to research. When you request a quote for the printer, ask for a commonly used spare parts list AND a price list for the consumables (color film rolls, ect..). There may be a large discrepancy in cost of the consumables that you may not realize until you've already purchased the unit.

The last thing I would verify on any print on demand unit is a trigger input. If in the future, you decide to automate, an automatic label applicator (the machine that actually puts the label onto the container) can be coupled to your print on demand printer but the labeler will utilize this trigger input to print one more label as one label is applied. It is very common for us to couple an on demand printer with one of our automatic labelers.

The primary purpose - that I've seen - for purchasing a print on demand printer is to utilize pre-printed label stock. The pre-printed label stock will be the common information that you can utilize across all of your brands - it may have warnings, contact info, logo ect.. and the print on demand printer will then print the specifics - usually in color - for each individual label. This will save in consumable cost for the printer and lower your overall COGS.

The primary purpose - that I've seen - for purchasing a print on demand printer is to utilize pre-printed label stock. The pre-printed label stock will be the common information that you can utilize across all of your brands - it may have warnings, contact info, logo ect.. and the print on demand printer will then print the specifics - usually in color - for each individual label. This will save in consumable cost for the printer and lower your overall COGS.

You can also do a variation on this for really lower COGS, that I have seen employed by wineries: print off a large quantity of a colorful quality base label, and then use a black and white printer (lower ink cost, as well as cheaper machine) to print individual label with name, variety, vintage, etc. For some you can get black and white inks with a tint (sepia, for example) at little additional cost.

Although I think they finally abandoned it, Maker's Mark used to print their own labels on a small, manual, antique, cast iron printing press. They used black ink on a brown stock. I know they were still using it in the early 90s. It was part of the tour and added to the old-timey image.