Mesh Screen Ideas for Solids Separation

Paul Tomaszewski

We've used several techniques for separating our solids prior to distillation. So far, the best method is separating after fermentation (therefore no worries for bacteria buildup during separation and I prefer to ferment on the grain anyways). The actual "equipment" (if you want to call it that), are some drums that we've outfitted with some window screen material. However, it doesn't hold up for more than a month or two and we have to replace it as holes/tears come. I was wondering about any recommendations for some sturdier mesh material that we could line our drainers with that will hold up for better duration.

We've used several techniques for separating our solids prior to distillation. So far, the best method is separating after fermentation (therefore no worries for bacteria buildup during separation and I prefer to ferment on the grain anyways). The actual "equipment" (if you want to call it that), are some drums that we've outfitted with some window screen material. However, it doesn't hold up for more than a month or two and we have to replace it as holes/tears come. I was wondering about any recommendations for some sturdier mesh material that we could line our drainers with that will hold up for better duration.

McMaster Carr has a nice variety of perforated stainless. http://www.mcmaster....-sheets/=avydyr

• 2 months later...

Hello

Wondering what size of screen material may work best for this purpose? Has anyone ordered this material to filter out the liquid after distillation? We use a 2 roller mill so the grain is not milled to a powder. Looking at buying a steel container and building up the bottom with a screen and allowing the liquid to filter out.

Thanks

Kent