Curious as how to use Temprerature Actuated Valve?

Absinthe Pete

So on almost every professional still I've seen it has some sort of Temprerature Actuated Valve, usually, from what I'm told, it's used to distinguish from heads to hearts and then to tails.

So the ones on the professional still what are they used for? And how do they make the cuts? Thanks.

Pete, I didn't think this valve was used to make cuts. I think it controls the water flow to the dephlegmator - and thus the cooling power applied. This keeps the reflux ratio constant as the alcohol content at the dephlegmator changes.

On the xy molar plot, it influences the shape of the distillation curve - for improved efficiency and performance, I believe.

I think the valve you have seen is generally used to control the temperature feeding the top of the deflegmater (sic) which is sort of a half plate (if installed) on top of the plate column if you will and then on to the condenser. So in a practical sense this controls the rate of distillation and/or the proof. Between the amount of heat applied and the temperature of water entering the condenser to control reflux rate you can control the proof. Practically you can control the rate of distillate production and the proof of your distillate with this temperature valve.

The cuts are another matter. Some stills have a valve triggered by the top of the hydrometer switching a valve as the hydrometer moves higher in the "parrot" at the distillate outflow of the condenser. So the aluminum foil stuck on the top of the floating hydrometer makes a mechanical connection to throw a valve and a certain physical height a.k.a. proof to send an alarm or switch a valve to begin to collect heart and/or tails depending on the operators requirements.

I have found a FET based hydrometer that I plan to attach to an enlarged parrot. This electronic hydrometer will generate signals to control AIR accuated valves to perform "automatic"cuts at a pre-defined proof value.

Ok, thanks for the info. I remember reading a long time ago one of the main Still manufacturer websites about it making automatic cuts and was just wondering. I am going to put a temperature actuated valve on my reflux condenser anyway. I'm not going with the dephlegmator anymore as I've changed column sizes.