building our own still.

Curtis McMillan

Curtis, a thought of well meaning concern. There is "experience" and there is "experience". You are going to spend a lot of money to get set up to a point of profitability, someday. I would recommend that you do yourself a favor and at least for your own sanity, unless you already have, look into the purchase of a proven still. Not challenging your skill, just that this is not a hobby and effeciency is key. And if you are still calling the license authority "atf" rather than "TTB" it shows you may yet have miles to go. Have you been up here to Gloucester? Feel free to come by for a chat. Also, give Jesse a call at Trident Welding. His info can be found on this site. It may save you (and your customers) a lot of "Headaches".

Can your members TIG weld copper. The TIG with pure argon needs to have fairly high power because copper draws heat away very quickly. Lead base solder is no good and neither is silver solder. Alcohol eventually eats holes in the silver solder.

I built my own pot still with no problems, but would would have found it a bit more of a challenge to do anything more complicated for my first attempt. I got the copper sheets cut out on a CNC with water/grit cutting head. Grinder with cut off wheels is very slow with thick copper. A good jigsaw with a metal blade works quite well.

I would speak with Jesse of Trident Welding. He is building some very nice stills and may have some suggestions.

Both of our members have sheetmetal experience and want to build our own still. Have any of you built your own still. I know the atf wants serial numbers and a written approval for the still. How did you all deal with this?

Because you can tig you will certanly save a lot of money if you do it yourself. Although this will depend on what value you put on your time.

Think carefully about stainless instead of copper.

Lots of copper is essential if you are distilling fermented wash. The wash usually contains sulphur compounds that make the spirit taste of turnips--not good.

The sulphur compounds stick to copper and make a much more drinkable spirit.