Whiskey in Alabama

I am wondering if anyone in the group is from Alabama? I was looking at the ADI map of member distilleries and saw that Alabama is one of only three states without one. Curious if anyone can give me a little help on why that is? I have been trying to find stuff online about Alabama's rules. I am having a hard time finding it through our control board's website. I searched for an Alabama TTB and got nothing but references and redirects to our control board. Are they the right people to call about setting up a distillery? Is it even legal to do in our state? I found Clyde May's Conecuh Ridge Apparently Alabama's State Spirit but it's made in Bardstown Kentucky. Not so much Alabama in that Spirit.

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who knows,

Rick

I am wondering if anyone in the group is from Alabama? I was looking at the ADI map of member distilleries and saw that Alabama is one of only three states without one. Curious if anyone can give me a little help on why that is? I have been trying to find stuff online about Alabama's rules. I am having a hard time finding it through our control board's website. I searched for an Alabama TTB and got nothing but references and redirects to our control board. Are they the right people to call about setting up a distillery? Is it even legal to do in our state? I found Clyde May's Conecuh Ridge Apparently Alabama's State Spirit but it's made in Bardstown Kentucky. Not so much Alabama in that Spirit.

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who knows,

Rick

There are two words for the reason there are no distilleries in AL, and they are EMORY FOLMAR....

I did some searching on the AL control board site a week or two back. One thing I noticed is that it seems certain aspects of the AL laws are regulated at the county level. So you might want to contact the AHJ in your county first, and if they give you the thumbs-up, ask for their help in getting an answer from the state.