Cooker for Simple Syrup

FrEwing

Hello All. I'm laying out my equipment plan and trying to also lay out the production process steps for my liqueurs. Does any one have any advice on the type of equipment available for cooking simple syrup. I'm not a distiller so don't have a separate heat source like a steam boiler some of you use. My batches would be in the range of 30 to 50 gals to be cooked for a minimum of 5 minutes. I've checked different manufacturers of industrial kettles, but was wondering if anyone is using something different. As you would expect, I'm also concerned about the fumes from alcohol. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I am also interested in the best/most efficient ways to cool the syrup. Thanks in advance.

Dick G

Hello All. I'm laying out my equipment plan and trying to also lay out the production process steps for my liqueurs. Does any one have any advice on the type of equipment available for cooking simple syrup. I'm not a distiller so don't have a separate heat source like a steam boiler some of you use. My batches would be in the range of 30 to 50 gals to be cooked for a minimum of 5 minutes. I've checked different manufacturers of industrial kettles, but was wondering if anyone is using something different. As you would expect, I'm also concerned about the fumes from alcohol. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I am also interested in the best/most efficient ways to cool the syrup. Thanks in advance.

Dick G

Used 20-40 gallon electric steam kettles range from about $2,500-$5,000 used (try eBay). I have not come up with a better method, but I am all ears if anyone else has a suggestion.

Used 20-40 gallon electric steam kettles range from about $2,500-$5,000 used (try eBay). I have not come up with a better method, but I am all ears if anyone else has a suggestion.

Thanks Smoogdog, this looks like a good solution. I have no experience with these and I've done a google search to see how they worked. It's self enclosed which makes life easy. For anyone needing info on one of these and how they work, I've attached a word doc on a Southbend model for anyone interested. The spec sheet was too large to atach. If anyone has any other solutions - Please add to this thread. I would be surprised if there were not a number of options

Southbend 20 Gal Electric Steam.doc

Dick G

Dear Dick

we are an oem italian distilling plant and usually when we supply distillatories that produce fruit liqueurs, we also supply the simple concentrator you see attached: it's a 40 gal capacity, very simple to install and use, around $22/25.000.

at Your disposal for every info

lorenzo

commerciale3@metalinox.tv

Hi Dick,

Have you asked a pastry chef or a mixologist? The people I know who make the most syrup fall into these two categories, ... and the best mixologists I know, look up to pastry chefs as being the masters of making syrup.

Cheers,

Drew

Dear Dick

we are an oem italian distilling plant and usually when we supply distillatories that produce fruit liqueurs, we also supply the simple concentrator you see attached: it's a 40 gal capacity, very simple to install and use, around $22/25.000.

at Your disposal for every info

lorenzo

commerciale3@metalinox.tv

Lorenzo, Thanks, I did receive the email with the literature. $25,000 is far above my budget.

Centi Anni

Hi Dick,

Have you asked a pastry chef or a mixologist? The people I know who make the most syrup fall into these two categories, ... and the best mixologists I know, look up to pastry chefs as being the masters of making syrup.

Cheers,

Drew

Drew, Thanks for the suggestion. I will talk to some pastry housesin the area and if I can find an appropriate web site or forum to ask the same question.

• 6 months later...

Hi Dick,

I make a fair variety of simple bartending. Are you cooking the sugar to caramelize it?

To cool it, a Wort Chiller may be your most cost effective option. It's a simple copper tubing coil that you would hook to running cold water. The constant circulation of chilled water will extract the heat and drop the temps quickly.

looks like this and be made easily or purchased at most brew supply stores:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wort+chiller+images&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=cFI5T_ODE6T10gH-u7HGAg&biw=1024&bih=554&sei=dFI5T5zZD5ON0QHVmrmcAg

-A

Dick

You can make batches of 25 pounds of sugar or more in a 5 gal stock pot. Let it cool then mix with water and spirits in a larger container. You can easily reach your 40 gal goal this way. You mentioned alcohol fumes, do not heat your spirits. As far as water sugar ratio, you will have to experiment for your own recipe. Just so everyone knows, the reason for heating is to get the grittiness out of the granulated sugar, and to keep it from turning back into crystals.

Mick H

hey all,

I bought a 40 gallon electric Groen kettle used for less than a grand. working condition. I then found several of the same size for very similar money. they are nice and have lids...they sell new for just over 10k...so used isnt too bad.