Distilling Class reviews

I am looking to get some reviews/references of distilling classes you have taken. How many people were in them? Did you get to operate the equipment? Were you encouraged to try and figure things out under their eye? Did they give you a good idea of what to expect in the business? Was it a good value for the money? Was the class encouraging or discouraging?

Thanks

Classes are a good thing for people who need everything in one place. I have not taken classes due to the fact that that I'm a voracious reader. Plus, I've been brewing beer for over ten years, so doing all grain mashes are no problem. I'm currently in the process of getting my DSP licenses and permits. All the information is out there on the net, you just need to know where to look. But, if you don't have the time and like to have a person to talk to and hand hold you through the process, then by all means spend the money and go to the class. You'll save yourself time and get some hands on experience, for a fee. If you have yet to homebrew an all grain beer, then that's the first place you can start to see if you like the process of mashing. If you can do that with a successful iodine test, then you've got the chops to move on and learn distilling.

I attended the two day course with Downslope in Colorado. Not only was the price reasonable, both Mitch and Andy were extremely open and helpful with pretty much the entire process. They cover most of the topics you'd want to know and would answer any questions that anyone asked them with honesty. The class had about 10 people in it and it was a great opportunity to meet with others that are in various stages of opening their own distileries. I would highly recommend them to anyone!

• 3 weeks later...

I've attended two different classes, both two days long. I would say overall, they are okay as a quick introduction but if you are looking to obtain a complete picture of the business, the courses won't provide you with that level of information.