Heating water - help

Okperioimplant

I guys. Very new to all this, but need some quick help. I have read many different ways to heat water for cleaning, mash, distilling, etc. I don't like an open flame idea. I am not big enough yet to go with a huge boiler system, so i need something small but i need to get water to about 160-180 degrees in an easy manner.

How can i do this?

please advise.

Thanks,

Robin

What are you going to use it for?

If it's for heating the 'cooker' you'll need more than 200 just to overcome heat loss.

If you can do it with your still install direct contact electric elements (water heater 4500watt units) and a controller unit. Plenty of sites with how-to for it.

Or make up an electric heater bath, essentially an open 'boiler', and use a high-heat pump to run a water bath for the still.

For mashing and cleaning use a commercial instant hot water heater (mine goes to 180*F). You could also use water from your condenser, collect it on your mash cooker or store it in a tank and pump it for cleaning. You can also buy a small electric steam generator.

Depending on what volume you need a large tankless or hybrid water heater might do it. You can gang them up for more output I think. Look at Takagi, Eternal Hybrid, Navion etc. With direct vent so intake air comes from outside you would avoid open flame problems.

On demand hot water heater would be one option. I run a Rennai r94Ls wich gives give me water close to 180f (it advertises 180f but it's more like 175f by the time it makes it's way through the hoses). At sea level, I believe it will produce 180f at the rate of around 5gpm. At 8,000' above sea level the rate is far suckier -- more like 1.25gpm. It's been great for providing strike and sparge water for single infusion mashes, as well as cleaning water to flush out my hoses and heat exchanger.

I'm not sure if your also asking for a system to power your still - the above obviously would not do that.

*Did not see the posts come in above as I was typing.

Edited by Lenny

Like stated above, there are economical electric water heaters for water temps up to 250F.

These have carbon steel wetted surfaces on pump and heater casing.

When you jump up to stainless cabinetry, stainless water surfaces and hazard-proof wiring for a 4.5 or 9 Kw heater with 3/4 HP pump you suddenly go from an$1,800 unit to something much more than a small boiler.

My suggestion would be to get a hot water boiler with circulator pump, using it with a brazed plate exchanger (all stainless) and stainless pump (or city water pressure) to make the hot water above the 180F mark.

The economical temperature controller can also be piped to the brazed plate exchanger in the same manner.

These solutions are sure to be over $3,000, so depends on your budget.

These are great suggestions that i will check out, but my main reason for question is heating up the mash tun and sparge water, and cleaning. But i still need a suggestion for heating the still, maybe the electric element idea would work. I need to research that avenue a bit more, but if anyone has specific brands or photo, that would be greatly helpful.

thanks.

We use 2 Eternal GU195 and as Lenny described we get around 180F @ 5gpm in the winter and about 8gpm in the summer. As described, you can gang them up and increase your gpm as needed, they have a very small footprint (sit on top of the office). we clean, mash and sparge with them. Soon we'll be looping them in with a condenser water recovery system to allow us to mash in a little more quickly but all in all they're great.

MG Thermal,

i like the idea of hot water boiler with circulator pump, and plate exchanger, but i have no idea what you are really talking about. Out of my league! do you have any specifics links or brands that you would recommend that i start to look at? Thanks for the help

Porter,

Do you have any links that you could provide with what you were talking about with direct heating elements and DIY sites?

Thanks

P/Med you a good link for starters.

Might have figured out the heating of water, for my small needs, with the help of you guys. I have 2 Navien tankless hot water heaters already, but didn't know that they could be juiced up to produce 185 degree water. They have remote controllers installed on them which limits the temp to 120 degree, safety i guess. i will just have to remove the remote and reset the panels to 185 degrees. I think this will work, unless someone knows how to hijack the remote to allow it to control the water temp beyond the factory set 120 degree?

Porter, would you mind sending me that link as well? This sounds like it could save a considerable amount of energy.

i found this site that might help out a lot on heating elements and temperature controls, but haven't tried any yet, just researching.

http://www.chromalox.com/

Porter, would you mind sending me that link as well? This sounds like it could save a considerable amount of energy.

Which link are you referring to? Sent him a couple on PM.

• 3 weeks later...

OK,

Looks like you have what you need.

I am picking up a couple 1.5 Million BTU boilers for resale that were taken at a plant auction. If your needs were somewhat larger, this would do the trick, plus some!

What yo would do with the boiler is to us its pump to circulate one side of a brazed plate heat exchanger and pass city water on the other side of the exchanger to point of use.

Regards,

Mike