Greeting, I would like to attend distilling classes

I am a vodka enthusiast, who is in love with the science and craft of distillation. I would really like to attend one of the schools. Could anyone recommend some of the better schools/classes in the market regarding vodka distillation (anywhere in USA) ? I have a strong chemistry and geology background so schools offering advanced classes are preferred. Thank you very much.

Simple one-day class, whole rye grain to glass vodka, is at 18Vodka for a bit more than a Franklin. Not deep on the science, but a nice way to see a small distillery do vodka in a beautiful 18 plate still. Email them to ask when they plan the next class.

For advanced classes, you might find even the best rather weak on the chemistry side, I know I did.

• 1 month later...

I recently attended the one-week class taught at Batch 206 Distillery in Seattle, WA. There are several much more expensive classes available, but I found this to be a wealth of information and can readily endorse it. You can see info at: www.sipsclass.org. Again, not much is taught at a graduate chemistry level, but there's a whole lot of basics you need to know.

Michigan State has classes every now and then. They are taught at the basic to intermediate level for the most part, but they have chemistry professors on hand to answer advanced questions. Really, a basic understanding of the chemistry will put you ahead of likely 85% of the distillers out there. More important than the basic understanding of chemistry are the small nuances of distillation that you won't learn anywhere but by doing it. Chemistry and math are easy. Making good vodka/whiskey/spirits is harder, and you don't need to understand one bit of "why" it works to know what does work.