best state to start a distillery?

NY has some pretty awesome laws. DC has even better ones, but leaseholds are high. If I had the luxury of choosing, for myself, it would either be Wisconsin or NM...the first because of the existing culture, the second because of the opportunities!

NY has some pretty awesome laws. DC has even better ones, but leaseholds are high. If I had the luxury of choosing, for myself, it would either be Wisconsin or NM...the first because of the existing culture, the second because of the opportunities!

I was trying to look in Washington DC laws but had a hard time locating all the information on them. I did see that being a Class A Manufacturer there would allow you to sell to retail locations like bars and liquor stores. Would that allow you to sell directly to bars and stores in other states or only in DC.

• 2 weeks later...
Austontatious,

Look for a State that allows tours, tasting and that will allow in house sales at the distillery. Also one large aspect of choosing a distillery location is population in the area related to geographic location of the distillery. Travel time and gas can get very expensive, usually that expense is not included in a business plan. Being located in or near a larger city will help with social media and marketing of your products. Finally, if you want to avoid a large head ache, choose a location that is on town/ city water and sewer if at all possible. Good luck

• 3 weeks later...