Waste Grains

coop

I was just wondering what all of you do with your spent grains? We are selling ours as quick as we can get it into containers that are furnished by local farmers. We are getting 70% of the original cost of the grain. Are we selling too low? Coop

I was just wondering what all of you do with your spent grains? We are selling ours as quick as we can get it into containers that are furnished by local farmers. We are getting 70% of the original cost of the grain. Are we selling too low? Coop

Wow! I'd guess 70% of your original cost is pretty good.

We offer ours to farmers for free, unfortunately we're in the city and with as little as we produce no one feels it's worth the effort to pick up the relatively small amount we do have. We've had friends pick it up for deer feed and composting. We will increase our volume soon with our impending whiskey production and I believe we'll be able to get it picked up- but I still doubt we'll have anyone willing to pay for it. Enjoy the nice return on your refuse!

I think that 70% resale is great as well. I'm going to see how well I do selling back my spent grains to the farmers I will buy from. When I do I'll post back. I am arranging to guy organic grains from organic dairy farmers and then sell it right back to them. They'll drop a load of grain at the brewery and take back a load of spent.