Adding a steam jacket

Connor

Jacketing that would be a project and a half! It'd be a shame to do, but you could grind the rivets off and have the top of it put on a steam-kettle base. Probably cost as much as new, but you could make it bigger when you do it. Cutting holes in it and installing a steam coil or calandria could work, but it will be a bear to clean. I suppose you could just cut out a portion of the base and install a stainless steam plate.

None of these are really good options, though. Why do you want to convert? Open flame law?

I want to cook bourbon grain in and am worried about too much scorching in the pot with direct flame. We're going to mount an agitator to keep things moving, do you think I'm being a little paranoid about it scorching?

you have a very wide flat bottom, you could just jacket the bottom, insulate the sides.

copper is a good conductor, so you should be able to push enough heat into it that way.

an internal steam coil would be easy and efficient method, but clean up from a bourbon mash would be a pain.

then again steam injection is super simple, would require the least modification, and can be manipulated to agitate as well.

I have a 12 hL which will be here shortly, its got an agitator to keep it moving with direct fire. You could also rack off the liquid from the grains in the fermenter to reduce solids.

Call Hubert Germain-Robin for ideas that Prulho has come up with for this still. He knows people with a lot of different applications for this still. 707.485.0581 Or hubertgermainrobin@gmail.com

He is the U.S. rep.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Conner, thats a beautiful still - where'd did you find it?? honestly, you don't need to distill grain-in for bourbon, just make sure your wash is on point! I have a feeling retrofitting that would be a pain in the ass.

NAB