Neutral Brandy or just Brandy

patrick260z

I've been discussing this topic with a couple of other local distilleries in my area, and the comments are contrary to my understanding.

My question is this. If I distill my wine to +170proof, do I have to call the product Neutral Brandy or can I still just call it Brandy, especially since there is considerable character still in the distillate?

My understanding is I have to call it Neutral Brandy, but I've been told by other destillers to interpret the regs as not saying "have to" , but instead saying "able to".

So my 172proof Grappa run can be called Grappa, and not have to be called Neutral Grappa. And my 171proof Brandy run can be called Brandy and doesn't have to be called Neutral Brandy?

BTW: These are all runs we did early in the game, before we became aware of the delicious brandy coming off at lower proof runs.

Thanks for the insight.

• Neutral Brandy

• Any type of brandy, e.g., “Fruit Brandy,” “Residue Brandy,” etc., distilled at more than 85% alcohol by volume (170 proof) but less than 95% alcohol by volume (190 proof)

• “Neutral Brandy” is grape neutral brandy. Other types of neutral brandy must be further identified, e.g., “Neutral Plum Brandy,” “Neutral Citrus Residue Brandy”

Taken from the BAM, now granted the BAM is only a set of guidelines and interpret them as you'd like to.

• Grape brandy must be stored in oak containers for a minimum of 2 years

one other thing to consider is that to call it Brandy and not Immature brandy it must be stored in oak for two years