Botanicals in gin basket mostly dry after run

StonesRyan

• 2 weeks later...

Try tasting the botanicals after the run. Any flavor that's left is flavor that didn't go into your spirit (whether this is good or bad depends on what you are trying to achieve). Also, cut some of them open; if they are wet on the inside, you are probably getting full (or nearly so) saturation. If not, you probably need to make some adjustments. I agree that you should check right at the end of the run, but I don't think you should get near complete drying in the basket overnight.

I would need more information about your kit, process and ingredients, as well as the condition of your botanicals and spirit at the end of the run. Feel free to shoot me an email at spinozzi9@gmail.com

• 3 years later...
On 11/9/2015 at 8:15 PM, SpiritedConsultant said:

I would need more information about your kit, process and ingredients, as well as the condition of your botanicals and spirit at the end of the run. Feel free to shoot me an email at spinozzi9@gmail.com

I know this is a REALLY old post, but I have a similar problem. My gins aren't turning out too light, just lighter. I checked the botanicals immediately afterward and they are very warm, some damp, but most very dry-like dusty dry! Am I putting too much in the basket? I ran approx 300L of 80proof. It turned out okay, but I'm concerned I'm losing flavor from the basket. 

22 hours ago, jenschmunk@gmail.com said:

I know this is a REALLY old post, but I have a similar problem. My gins aren't turning out too light, just lighter. I checked the botanicals immediately afterward and they are very warm, some damp, but most very dry-like dusty dry! Am I putting too much in the basket? I ran approx 300L of 80proof. It turned out okay, but I'm concerned I'm losing flavor from the basket. 

Turns out my issue was a known issue at Vendome and required me sending the inner basket back to them for modification. The basket was originally made almost entirely from perforated stainless and it was modified so that the bottom of the basket is the only part with perforations and the walls are now solid stainless. This forces the vapor into the botanicals from the bottom of the basket only and doesn't allow the vapor to bypass the bulk of the botanicals and enter higher up through the basket walls. Hopefully that makes sense. Best of luck to you!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2018 at 9:14 PM, StonesRyan said:

Turns out my issue was a known issue at Vendome and required me sending the inner basket back to them for modification. The basket was originally made almost entirely from perforated stainless and it was modified so that the bottom of the basket is the only part with perforations and the walls are now solid stainless. This forces the vapor into the botanicals from the bottom of the basket only and doesn't allow the vapor to bypass the bulk of the botanicals and enter higher up through the basket walls. Hopefully that makes sense. Best of luck to you!

Hmm...my basket is entirely made of perforated copper.  I'm assuming I have the same issue then?