Cleaning Mori filler?

daveflintstone

We also have that filler.  However we pump through a filter to the tank with a spirits pump.  It is manually done with no tank level switch.  We have not bottled anything else other than vodka yet.  I would think you would have to use a different set of filters for each spirit if you want no cross contamination.  You could rinse each filter and let it dry or rinse and let almost dry and pump through some spirit at a higher proof then proof then circulate through one more time then bottle.  Hoping others respond to see what others do.  Good luck.

I will change the sub Micron cartridge filter out for each different spirit. I will put those in a container filled with the same Spirit it just filtered until the next time I need it.

You you have to turn your pump on to fill the holding tank and then turn it off again? I'm glad I have the automatic float switch. Works like a charm.

I don't have a Mori, but the few places I have worked have done basically the same procedure to varying extents. Rinse, hot clean, rinse and drain to sit. Sanitize before use comes from the wine/beer world, flush the system with gns at the bottling proof of your spirit to rinse out the water as to not affect proof. Drain gns, then filll to bottle.

At the brewery I worked at we ran cases through the machine with out caps in to flush cleaner through the system. Here our rotary has a cleaning tray that catches cleaning solution from the heads and runs it to the drain.

Not sure what the mori looks like, but the above modified to the machine specifics should work.

What Tom describes is pretty spot-on. There's a saying in breweries: "Making beer is 90% cleaning and 10% paperwork." About the only shortcut is to hire somebody to clean equipment for you and make sure you train them well.

Still, the ease of cleaning vs. other gravity fillers is one of the things our customers like about the Mori Filler. Unscrew the nozzles, disassemble them, rinse, and soak them in your desired cleaning solution. Meanwhile, rinse out the reservoir, and clean. Repeat as necessary. You should cycle cleaning solution through the pump too.

We've thought about doing a "dummy bottle" CIP system where you put cleaning/rinsing solution into the reservoir, and then hook the dummy bottles up to the nozzles to open them up. A pump would recirculate the rinsing/cleaning solution through the reservoir, the nozzles, and the dummy bottles. You could walk away and leave it to run for a while. That'd get you most of the way there, but you'd probably still have to spend some time with brushes. My main concern is that such a system would likely be cost-prohibitive for most users, and therefore it's not likely we'd sell many.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2016 at 3:45 PM, MichaelAtTCW said:

We've thought about doing a "dummy bottle" CIP system where you put cleaning/rinsing solution into the reservoir, and then hook the dummy bottles up to the nozzles to open them up. A pump would recirculate the rinsing/cleaning solution through the reservoir, the nozzles, and the dummy bottles. You could walk away and leave it to run for a while. That'd get you most of the way there, but you'd probably still have to spend some time with brushes. My main concern is that such a system would likely be cost-prohibitive for most users, and therefore it's not likely we'd sell many.

In spite of better judgment, perhaps, we went ahead and prototyped up a Clean In-Place system for the Mori Filler. It actually came out pretty well, if I do say so myself!

Here's a normal, no-frills Six-Spout Mori Filler:

IMG_9744.JPG

Now we'll attach the first half of the clean in place system to the right-hand nozzles: 

IMG_4950.JPG

As you can see, it's basically a stainless steel manifold that locks the nozzles open. While the nozzles are locked open, liquid flows freely.

Now let's attach the other half:

IMG_3286.JPG

The two halves clamp together. Now all the nozzles are locked open, so liquid can flow freely through them. As you can see, both ends have standard tri clamp ferrule connections. One end will be closed off with an end cap or valve until you're ready to drain the cleaning solution. The other end will connect directly to the inlet of the Mori Filler's pump that feeds the reservoir. When you're done filling and ready to clean, you can just disconnect your supply tank, connect to the clean in-place system, and add some cleaning product to your reservoir. It will keep recycling the cleaning product through the system for as long as you want. Pretty neat!

• Thumbs up 1

14 hours ago, daveflintstone said:

A++

$?

The whole kit with the manifolds, caps, hose, and connectors to run in-line to the Mori Filler's pump would run $395 for a Six-Spout Mori, $365 for a Four-Spout Mori.

For the first few guinea pigs volunteers willing to use and provide feedback we'd do an early-adopter 20%-off discount. Just send me a message here on the forums, or at michael@tcwequipment.com