Rye Mash

Glucanase rest without exogenous enzyme is only marginally better than no rest when talking about rye.  Additional beta-glucanase makes our rye workflow much easier.  We regularly mash 100% rye, and it makes a material difference.  We don't lauter, but the difference in viscosity is obvious.

You are using a converted bulk tank?  Try increasing the slope slightly by lifting the back end up an inch or two.

Go hot on the sparge, as hot as you can.

3 hours ago, Silk City Distillers said:

We don't lauter, but the difference in viscosity is obvious.

Based on real world experience I feel you're asking for nothing but angst and sorrow trying to lauter rye. Even with a protein rest in the mid one-teens it's problematic. Even with added beta glucan its problematic. Even with sacks and sacks of rice hulls it's problematic.   I've tried and tried and it's nothing but a PITA.  We now just mash/ferm/distill on grain. I give up rye, you've won.

Happy New Year

• Thanks 1

We've found that whole oats with husk have a spice and boldness comparable to higher-rye content whiskies.  Wonder if a rye mash bill with a good proportion of oat would make lautering rye easier, as the oat husks bloom up like flowers when wet.  Oat husk/hull does a much better job than rice hulls IMHO.  When we do our oat bourbon, the mash wants to self-lauter on the pump over to the fermenter.  If we don't keep the mash tun on full agitation, we'll leave most of the grain behind in the mash tun.  Even then, you need to keep an eye on the tun and have a paddle handy.

But yeah, we ferment and distill on grain exactly for this reason.

57 minutes ago, Silk City Distillers said:

We've found that whole oats with husk have a spice and boldness comparable to higher-rye content whiskie

Im intrigued.  Ages ago I had a 100% oat whiskey from someone who I can't remember.  I'd love to search a few out and give em a try. 

Edit: Apologies for the thread hijack. I will cease and desist...