Best Enzyme to use with Rye

DonMateo

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Don, are you still having trouble with mashing and conversion? How are your corn whiskey cooks going I remember you asked about those somewhere before......

My initial response is what exactly is your goal with this enzyme? As a rule of thumb in modern production, unless you're intentionally avoiding enzyme which you are not, I would always use both Alpha and Gluco amylase enzymes to help with sacc. in any grain whiskey mash. If you are having conversion issues look to those two enzymes. The beta glucanase will help with viscosity, which will benefit you everywhere from your mashing, transfers, fermentations, and distillations. 

Also important for Rye, foaming is a mofo. Either go super slow with a hot break on your strips which is frustrating, or start using some natural oil of one of your component grains or anti foam to help with that.

Finally, just something to keep in mind, high Rye will foam. Either in distillation or fermentation. So be aware or antifoam hard amigo!

Hey Sickfloss, 

No the last couple of corn mashes I did turned out quite well, albeit they were slow but it getting cold where I live and my mashtun/fermenters are in the open air in my garage.  I actually have Alpha Amylayse and a Gluco amylayse, I was just asking the question to check. I did two 50l rye mashes about 9 months ago and I added both enzymes to one and it thinned up very nicely and the other one remained like porridge. I guess I didnt use enough.  I am aiming for a wash that I can use to dilute some neutral that I am going to make when my vodka still his finished, which should happen in about 6 weeks.  

Thanks for the comment on the high rye with lot. The last time I did a bourbon wash with high rye it did foam like crazy I used a corn oil spray and that knocked it down very nicely.  

I hope your distillery is going well, mate. 

Hey Sickfloss, 

No the last couple of corn mashes I did turned out quite well, albeit they were slow but it getting cold where I live and my mashtun/fermenters are in the open air in my garage.  I actually have Alpha Amylayse and a Gluco amylayse, I was just asking the question to check. I did two 50l rye mashes about 9 months ago and I added both enzymes to one and it thinned up very nicely and the other one remained like porridge. I guess I didnt use enough.  I am aiming for a wash that I can use to dilute some neutral that I am going to make when my vodka still his finished, which should happen in about 6 weeks.  

Thanks for the comment on the high rye with lot. The last time I did a bourbon wash with high rye it did foam like crazy I used a corn oil spray and that knocked it down very nicely.  

I hope your distillery is going well, mate.