Can we get a Safety section started on this forum?

Max Action

I think Safety topics need a dedicated space. Any admins here able to add this feature?

Why not start with just a topic thread on the subject, or specific issue within safety. I think the need for dedicated space would be evident once a few threads were to start to get populated. I have been watching for threads on safety (beyond the "another distillery blew up, will we be regulated"), and would gladly participate if there were.

I agree that a safety thread would be good, but I offer a single criticism.

The thread can't be a forum for suggesting things are aren't safe. Otherwise said, it shouldn't be a thread where people express their opinions about what is or is not safe. There is a lot of sharing of ideas on these forums and some of those ideas are expressed from an experiential standpoint, some are expressed from a professional knowledge standpoint, and others are expressed from a place lacking either experience or knowledge.

I would find it ill advised to populate a safety thread in which suggestions and opinions that are not safe are mentioned. After all this thread is a resource for new guys as well as old hats. I would be concerned that with conflicting or differing opinions expressed in the forums, influencing proper decisions about safety for new people to the industry.

So, start the thread if that's what people want. However, new guys and old hats, there are great resources for safety in our industry. Those should be exhausted before relying on experience from anyone without proper credentials in ethanol refining safety practices.

Cheers.

So, start the thread if that's what people want. However, new guys and old hats, here are great resources for safety in our industry. Those should be exhausted before relying on experience from anyone without proper credentials in ethanol refining safety practices.

Cheers.

John, I hear what you are saying. And in general, agree with the sentiment. But, as a hard core believer in integrated safety management, I understand that even when we are not explicitly discussing safety, safety issues are inherent in much of our discussion. And all the cautions you raise are equally true when any discussion of process, equipment, technique, planning, etc., goes on, where there is a spoken or unspoken safety aspect. So your caution generally applies to all posts where their is safety relevance. And to suggest by not having threads specifically on a safety topic we avoid the dissemination of misinformation on safety issues is likely naive.

But, where I think we can agree, is the value of the threads would depend in part on the degree to which they bring up focussed, informed discussion to address how we can work more safely and address safety issues within our fast growing segment.

By the way, you finished by saying there are great resources for safety in our industry (meaning, I presume, ethanol production at our scale). Well, a great place to start such a discussion would be to identify to new guys and old hats what those resources are. I would be very interested in learning about those resources you are aware of, since I am sure I am not aware of them all. Would you be willing to put together a quick list of what you know of John, to kick things off?

Best...

Of course there is tons of misinformation on the internet, this forum included, but it's still better (in my opinion) to share ideas rather than not.

Originally I was thinking about starting a thread about Spill Control measures, but wasn't sure which section it would be best to post in.