Dewatering on the cheap.

Grant

A friend of mine that's in the microchip industry sent me these Filter bags. They are made by Swisstainer and come in different micron sizes. In this photo I have spent Taro mash, think Hawaiian Poi. Now I just need to set up a rack system that I can transfer the bag to and let gravity do it work.

Filter Bag.jpg

2 hours ago, Michaelangelo said:

What’s the cost of the bag?

Bags are about $25 and are reusable. Than we ether  compost whats left or take it to the local dump. in this batch we had about a 66% weight reduction and what was left was about the consistency of mashed potatoes.

1 hour ago, Roger said:

No offense, but I suggest you don't spend a lot of time and money on the rack and bags. Try it like you have it on a fork lift and see what happens, but don't even bother trying it with any corn. 

Prost 

It worked well with the taro. We had About a 66% weight reduction and it left the product dry enough to work with ( easily shoveled) I would like to know more about the problems with corn. Do you think it will retain to much moisture?

On 11/21/2018 at 7:02 AM, Skaalvenn said:

Hmm I'd like to try a bag.  We have trouble finding farmers who will take liquid spent grains.  Do you know where I could find them online?  Thanks!

I will try to get more information on the bags and post it here.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2018 at 1:08 PM, Grant said:

Thanks.

I called and ordered up a couple bags ($30 each).  Unfortunately, they just don't work for our process.  We mill wheat to a very course flour with a lot of fines, and then ferment and distill on the grain.  We found that the pores in the bag instantly clogged and after 24 hours only a few gallons of liquid was collected (we had it suspended over an IBC with the top removed)

We tried poking holes in the bag and that helped, but the problem is that the grain clogs the holes very quickly.

What ultimately worked the best was waiting for the grain to fully settle and then poking holes above the grain bed and decanting the liquid off.  However, doing that means there's no point in using the filter bag at all.  We tried holes ranging in size from about 1mm to about 5mm and if there's any grain, they clog.

Back to the drawing board, at least for us...

• Thanks 1

I've struggled quite a bit with the grain issue. I hate handling the stuff hot and so I've taken to removing it just before distillation. I tried all kinds of ideas, to no avail - until, I stumbled onto an old hand crank apple press. It worked great but was not feasible for day to day use. But, taking it's lessons to heart, I bought a 160L bladder press. It works great - most of the time. Unfortunately, it dosen't work that great with a slurry, so we've had to develop a few techniques along the way. Generally though, it works the best for the least amount of money - assuming labor is part of the equation anyway. If I had the cash, I would buy a real system in a heartbeat.