derek.duf

Baine Marie - Glycol?

In reading various threads on here, I've seen a few mentions of using glycol instead of oil.  Does anyone have any pros/cons for this?  I have spare glycol sitting around, and assume that wouldn't put off an odor like oil would.  From what I can tell, a 95% concentration of glycol has a boiling point of 310F, so seems like it would work fine, but wanted to see if anyone has any feedback.  Thanks

Hi derek,

It will work but glycol has a horrible heat transfer coefficient.  It is best not to mix it with water in more than a 40% glycol 60% water mixture or the heat transfer coefficient gets so bad that you don't really gain anything without a great deal of inefficiency.

Steam has the best heat transfer coefficient.  We have a device called an open system presserization module that is an option with our baine marie stills.  The jacket is still an open system but up to 14 psi of steam pressure can be produced with our self contained electric heating system and the OSPM.   This setup takes a little longer to reach operating temp than running oil in the jacket but less time than glycol or hot water in the jacket.  Once operating temp is reached the still runs much like a still fired by a low pressure steam boiler.  The OSPM steam gives you a great deal more heat input than oil or glycol, with less energy input.  It also gives you a faster distilling time than oil or especially water, for stripping runs etc.  Do you already have your baine marie still?  If so, what do you have?

We have a DYE still.  With a brewing background, was not even aware these type of heating elements existed!  I am not going to have a steam boiler where the still is, and may look into that down the road but looking for the most cost efficient method at this point. There's so many different types of oils that wasn't sure what to even begin looking for, so when I saw glycol I got excited. 

Is your DYE still set up for baine marie with heating element ports installed?  If so is the jacket good for 15psi?

On 11/24/2018 at 8:33 AM, Southernhighlander said:

Is your DYE still set up for baine marie with heating element ports installed?  If so is the jacket good for 15psi?

Sounds like the jacket is not rated for pressure.