Carbac Filter Sheets

JohninWV

Being that powdered carbon is such a darn mess, has anyone ever tried Carbac filter sheets?

One of my suppliers mentioned it to me and I'd like to give it a go.

Here's a link....and no, I don't work for these guys.

https://www.gusmerenterprises.com/p-221-gusmer-matrix-cellupore-and-carbac-filter-sheets-wine.aspx

I use a granulated activated carbon. The size of the granules are about 1/4" to 3/8" in size. Not messy at all. I get about 6 hundred to 7 hundred gallons run through it at least 6 times each use and that means 3600 to 4200 gallons total run through it and use only 100# of carbon. Not bad I think. Coop

I've used carbon sheets (not carbac brand exactly) with much sucess, primarly with vodka production. I still use carbon granules as prebottling treatment then use the carbon sheets as a final polishing and filtering to the bottling line. I have yet to talk to somebody that knows the recommended volume of spirits 1 sheet will treat or what the pore size (ie. microns) they're rated at, Anyone...anyone?

I don't know anyone using powdered carbon. Only activated carbon granules, and I haven't seen it be that messy.

Being that powdered carbon is such a darn mess, has anyone ever tried Carbac filter sheets?

https://www.gusmerenterprises.com/p-221-gusmer-matrix-cellupore-and-carbac-filter-sheets-wine.aspx

Graham,

I too would like to find a standard of use for the sheets.

Jonathan....I know lots of folks using powdered carbon....but maybe granular is the way to go. Do you use a gravity system?

I use powdered carbon and filter sheets.

John - I tried the powdered carbon and found it to be a huge mess. You also can end up breathing it in more easily. I've switched to using a gravity system and granulated carbon. I have a very simple filter that I built but am going to replace it as soon as my stainless filter from Trident arrives.

Graham,

I too would like to find a standard of use for the sheets.

Jonathan....I know lots of folks using powdered carbon....but maybe granular is the way to go. Do you use a gravity system?

I use powdered carbon and filter sheets.

• 4 months later...

I don't know anyone using powdered carbon. Only activated carbon granules, and I haven't seen it be that messy.

Yes you do... we use powdered carbon ( KBB) to strip our vodka.. and let me tell you.. its a HUGE PITA... the good news is, the ratio of powder to liquid is quite low... but you make up for it in time spent changing clogged filter pads.

Im trying to find a solution right now to replace our carbon powder.

• 3 weeks later...

i cant believe u wasted your money on that gimmick. lol..

you need contact time.. 24 hrs is plenty with vibratory excitement on occasion.. So get a nice stainless steel tank.. perforated bottom to catch granules and let it soak in the GAC. coming out is another problem in itself.. you need another filteration process to capture the dust as they always come through..

cheers and all the best.

Are you saying that carbon filters on your kitchen sink don't change the flavor of the water?

Well, I did spend my money on those pads and don't feel like I wasted my money. You may be partially correct as I don't think they work as good as my current carbon, but they do work.

i cant believe u wasted your money on that gimmick. lol..

you need contact time.. 24 hrs is plenty with vibratory excitement on occasion.. So get a nice stainless steel tank.. perforated bottom to catch granules and let it soak in the GAC. coming out is another problem in itself.. you need another filteration process to capture the dust as they always come through..

cheers and all the best.

4 posts deep huh? Perhaps you could elaborate as to why you think the carbac pads are a waste of money? have you used them before with bad results? im sure we could all benefit from you sharing your experience.

I am working with guseman right now in doing samples with their pads. I sent a sample of rum and vodka for labtop samples to see what the results might be, as well as scheduled a scaled up test. Right now my process is to dump a bunch of powdered activated carbon in the tank, circulate it for a few hours, then let it sit on the carbon for about 24 hrs before the pain in the ass task of filtering it... so anything i can do to improve this process is a welcome change. its one of the main reasons we are looking at the carbon impregnated pads.

• 2 years later...

Classik,

Any luck with the carbon pads so far? I am considering switching to a plate and frame filter for my adsorption processes. My main concern with the pads is that much less mass of activated carbon when compared to a column. I am worried that I will have to clean the pads many times to get my desired results.

I`m doing 20 gallons vodka base at 50% per day.

• 2 months later...

We used to filter bottom up through a large bed of activated charcoal granules. We switched to pads like these about a year ago which fit into a stainless plate filter. The results have been more consistent filtering times and a quieter operation (a perk based on the design of our previous pneumatic powered system). We "consume" a quantity of pads per our "batch" of vodka, each new batch gets a fresh set of pads. We don't revive the pads, we toss them in the "recycling" (dumpster). Having new pads per batch is an added benefit since all carbon has a lifespan, and fresh carbon filters better and faster than worn-carbon. Finally, we figured out the cost of the pads vs replacing the charcoal in our big filter bed regularly was about the same amount of money per batch.

So in conclusion, these pads work well, and cost about the same as other forms of carbon (at least for us they do).

-Scott