FDA GRAS list: How to interpret?

Foreshot

This is my first foray into the GRAS list. I would appreciate a little guidance on this. So I've found a couple "GRAS" lists. I want to make sure I get this right:

PART 182—SUBSTANCES GENERALLY RECOGNIZED AS SAFE

Has a section called:

182.20 Essential oils, oleoresins (solvent-free), and natural extractives (including distillates).

For instance Angelica root is on that list. So I'm free to use it in gin without any extra dispensation from the TTB/FDA? I just include it on the formula and all's good? 

The reason I ask is that there is also a section: 

PART 184—DIRECT FOOD SUBSTANCES AFFIRMED AS GENERALLY RECOGNIZED AS SAFE

It looks more like a list of additive chemicals. So I should not be concerned as it doesn't really apply, yes? 

Sorry for the rather sophomoric question, just want to make sure I do this right and not miss something. I don't want to start making something then realize I have to dump it because I screwed up a simple detail. 

Thanks!  

I was dealing with similar issues and ended up shooting them a request via email.  Within a day I got a response from someone who was able to let me know which of my ideas were acceptable for use in alcohol production and which ones were not.  Be prepared to send them the scientific name of any species but in my one experience I found them to be quick to respond and very helpful.  Plus I had their approval in writing!

• 2 weeks later...