Pest Control

Phil

I'm in the process of getting bids from the Pest Control companies. Those of you who are already in production; what type of special considerations did your pest control contracts include? I've one company that is freaking out saying I'm an FDA facility and he's having to "research" what he can or can't do.

What should I tell the pest control guys? What are the rest of you doing about it?

Thanks,

Phil

Rock Town Distillery

Little Rock, Arkansas

I'm in the process of getting bids from the Pest Control companies. Those of you who are already in production; what type of special considerations did your pest control contracts include? I've one company that is freaking out saying I'm an FDA facility and he's having to "research" what he can or can't do.

What should I tell the pest control guys? What are the rest of you doing about it?

Thanks,

Phil

Rock Town Distillery

Little Rock, Arkansas

Tell him alcohol isnt regulated by FDA at all, its TTB, and to quit draggin his heels and get to work!

Im assuming youre dealing with mice near the grains?

Id be leery of using any chemical sprays near something i was going to distill though.

Tell him alcohol isnt regulated by FDA at all, its TTB, and to quit draggin his heels and get to work!

Im assuming youre dealing with mice near the grains?

Id be leery of using any chemical sprays near something i was going to distill though.

I'm not having any issues yet... So what do I tell him? We're not regulated by the FDA and to use his best stuff? Just don't spray around the fermentations or grains?

Unless the building you're in has an existing problem, stay the hell away from pesticides. You don't need them. A hose and broom are your best friends. Keep your plant clean, and receive grains weekly....get 'em in and distill 'em. Keep an eye on what's coming into your plant. There's more than a few grain wholesalers out there that can pass their pest problem on to you if you're not careful.... particularly if they store grains that have been shipped from overseas (most of them do).

Happy & safe distilling, Phil.

I dont know how big your place is, but we have about 2500 sq ft, we use a few of these guys... works every time

http://www.ratzapper.org/

you put in a little dog kibble, cheese-its or whatever in there without turning it on, check every day to see if its gone, as soon as it is u know the animal knows its safe to eat there and will return. Reset the trap then turn it on... we have had a mouse/rat in it every time.

My building is an 60 year old warehouse that is 15,000 square feet. We don't have any grain in here yet and I'm already seeing beetles and June bugs. I'm thinking they should setup tin cans (traps) and spray the warehouse and office areas, but stay out of the production room.

Make sense?

Our previous tenants (Amish) left us 15 cats, never seen a live mouse, rat, mole or gopher around and we're surrounded by wheat/cornfields. If you're in the city and you had one or two full-time, I'm sure that would suffice, plus it's always a plus for tours with kids. Oh yeah, and as far as the bugs go, two words... shop vac (or is that one?).

Our previous tenants (Amish) left us 15 cats, never seen a live mouse, rat, mole or gopher around and we're surrounded by wheat/cornfields. If you're in the city and you had one or two full-time, I'm sure that would suffice, plus it's always a plus for tours with kids. Oh yeah, and as far as the bugs go, two words... shop vac (or is that one?).

You must have one big litter box!

Cats! Chemicals can bring smells you don't want near your product and hazards you don't want near you. Get a shelter cat for free throw it some food (not too much-obviously)and water and viola all natural pest control. Plus ours keep me company and provide sanity on long hard days.

• 2 months later...