How Much Alcohol in Fermented Batch

Hello,

I am trying to determine costing for a potential distillery in terms of the production process.

Does anyone know what approximate percentage of alcohol after fermentation (before distilling) I will get from a typical grain mash? 

Here are some points:

• Making Vodka/gin
  • Using 1000 L (265 gallon) fermenter 
  • Planning to use enzymes

I am looking for approximate numbers based on experience. 

Thanks

Your question is too vague. The amount of alcohol produced is determined by the amount of fermentables available to the yeast, and the health of your fermentation. Its typically inadvisable to go above 8-10% though.

There are probably books based more on distilling, but if you pick up "Designing Great Beers" or "Malt" by John Mallet, they will teach you to formulate a mash bill. You will need to know any number of things you read in them to successfully operate a distillery. 

I don’t use grain but try to keep my potential alcohol below 10% and above 7%.  

Some things like honey or agave will will need to be closer to 5-6%.  Whey will be 3-4%  

IME most guys try to keep it around 9% tho  seems to be a happy spot for yeast in general.  Then you might calculate your useable hearts at 75% of that volume.   That should get you within reason.  

ps. Isn’t it funny when you ask a question and get a bunch of “non answers” like call so-and-so. Jebus. Just give the guy a ballpark. It’s just a business plan.  

Also, don't forget you loose alcohol as you go - so what might be 7 or 8% in the fermenter may actually be a precent or two less depending on the efficiency of the still and the distiller.

2 hours ago, FijiSpirits said:

ps. Isn’t it funny when you ask a question and get a bunch of “non answers” like call so-and-so. Jebus. Just give the guy a ballpark. It’s just a business plan.  

Figured I could put him on the right track without doing all the legwork for him. Maybe youre right though, and I shouldve just answered the poor guys question without being a pretentious ass hole. 

21 hours ago, adamOVD said:

Figured I could put him on the right track without doing all the legwork for him. Maybe youre right though, and I shouldve just answered the poor guys question without being a pretentious ass hole. 

Adam. I wasn’t picking on you exclusively. He has several threads where the majority of answers were snarky. It just got to the point where folks were being less than helpful for what could have been a relatively simple answer with added caveats. 

Weve all been there at the beginning needing simple answers to complicated questions. Now we can answer them “sorta” even if the answers aren’t 100%.