Automated temp controlled FV cooling

St.Julie

Hello All,

I am looking to control the flow of my chiller water for my FV's with a temp controller, control valves.  I am tired of controlling them by hand.  Basically I need a temp controller that tells a (I'd prefer)a pneumatic (XP rated) valve to open when needed and closed when demand is not needed.  Anyone have any recommendations on a someone that does these sorts of set ups.  Any thoughts?  Or if I can set it up, what you use or recommend for the build out?  Thanks!

I’ve been looking for some solutions myself. I’ve got all the parts (except the water valve) to make an automatic valve control and element control but haven’t put it together yet. I decided to use PID controller and some relays. 

I had looked at a non electric temperature control valve like these below but thy are pricey and seemed kind of arbitrary in adjustment and not overly quantifiable. 

https://m.grainger.com/mobile/category/temperature-regulator-valves/pressure-and-temperature-control-valves/plumbing-valves/plumbing/ecatalog/N-rgv?searchFlag=Browse

maybe Highlander will share more about his valves, I’m always looking for cool solutions. 

With these valves you do not need a PID or relays.  Also on off valves can extend run times because the stills output is sort of like an old guy with a prostate problem.  The best option is a valve that operates in a proportional manner.  Here is a link to the data sheet of one of the thermostatic valves that we sell: http://na.heating.danfoss.com/PCMPDF/AVTB-RA_DS_VDBJD222.pdf They aren't that pricey when you consider how long they last and that you do not need a controller and they use zero power and they are completely explosion proof.  You can use one of them to control your final condenser and as many as 4 dephlegmators.

This is a great idea for a low cost deph controller Highlander.  Mounting it in a place that you can access easily (like not up high, needing a ladder climb each time you need to adjust it) is the trick, I think.  I might consider these for some new fermenter vessel install I am working on.  That's a great use for these IMHO; set and forget. Just watch the temp probe dial to make sure it's still working.