Intro - Hepburn Springs Distillery

Howdy everyone,

I'm delighted to be officially joining the community after years of skulking around the edges!

Our new distillery is open and ready for business, making organic, carbon-neutral spud vodka, Whey-based vodka, gin from scratch, and of course the golden stuff - whiskey.

We're in country Victoria, Australia, and the well on our property was the one originally used to make all the brew and spirits when the woodcutters used to send the forest to the goldfields in the 1850s. So we're re-commissioning that beautiful water.

Cheers,

Basil

14 minutes ago, JailBreak said:

Are you talking about carbon filtering or carbon footprint? if the latter I'd love to learn more about your process!

G'day there JB,

Carbon footprint mate. My wife, Jane, has been in the enviro movement for decades, and calculates all those. We're very low in transport miles etc - our well provides the water, the spuds come from literally round the corner, we have solar panels for our electric still, and will have trees planted for every bottle sold. We haven't yet sold a bottle, btw! We're very new. But product is being run and bottles arrive today...

We also plan on keeping distribution very local, but there's some debate about how successful that will be.

Do you want more info? or is that enough?

cheers,

Basil

• Thumbs up 1

18 hours ago, Hepburn Springs Distillery said:

We also plan on keeping distribution very local, but there's some debate about how successful that will be.

Do you want more info? or is that enough?

cheers,

Basil

I'm a huge proponent in lessening our environmental impact so that's awesome to hear about. I'd always love to know more but that's enough for curiosity sake. If you're in a more populated area, or tourist-y area, you could probably get away with local distribution! Welcome Basil! 

26 minutes ago, JailBreak said:

I'm a huge proponent in lessening our environmental impact so that's awesome to hear about. I'd always love to know more but that's enough for curiosity sake. If you're in a more populated area, or tourist-y area, you could probably get away with local distribution! Welcome Basil! 

Cheers JB. We're actually in a town with about 15 homes and a pub (!), but we're an hour or so from Melbourne, which may be enough to keep us ticking over. All the best to you. B.

I do like the idea of a wood fired still as burning wood is carbon neutral . The jackass that runs this country has put a carbon tax on everything we buy so costs are very high for us in canada . I believe in making as small of an environmental foot print as possible but I'm sorry I don't believe in the carbon tax or global warming, I think it's marketing  bullshit like 7 times distilled vodka . Our distillery is run by a dzl fired boiler , were sitting on 500 acres of land that grows crops and trees, I think we absorb more carbon than we create.

Tim

Welcome Basil!

Concerning Carbon.  I have a customer who takes C02 and water and turns it into ethanol.  He originally tried to get funds to use his process to make fuel, however strangely enough no one was interested so he is making Vodka from CO2 and last I heard it was selling well.  Basically he reversed the combustion process of ethanol.

2 hours ago, Hudson bay distillers said:

That's some tesla kinda smarts right there , I would love to know how this works

He uses electricity to do the conversion so I guess you could call it Tesla kinda smarts.  I think he said that the conversion yields a wash that is around 40 proof and so he uses the still that we sold him to proof up to 190.

I have wood fired stills that run under a little vacuum so that you get a good fast distillation using a wood fired hydronic boiler.  We are using a really big hydronic boiler to fire our vacuum stills at our hemp to CBD processing facility.  I have a dump truck, so we buy 17 yard dump truck loads of end trim blocks from a sawmill for $75.00 per load.  The wood is mostly oak. 

You are right about firewood being considered carbon neutral.  I received a grant from the US government to purchase a hydronic boiler to fire a lumber drying kiln for my wood products business, years ago..  It seems crazy to me that the US government helped me buy something that pumped thick wood smoke into the atmosphere for over 16 years because they thought that it was good for the environment, however who am to argue with free money.  It does not matter to me whether I agree with programs that offer free money from the government.  I will take all of the money that they want to give me.  My new house will have solar panels only because the government is paying part of the bill for them by giving me tax credits, which when I penciled it out, will cost me less for electricity in the long run.

I do believe in global warming.  The world's average temp has risen .8 degrees since 1880.  No one can deny that as we have the temp records to prove it.  That is 8/10ths of 1 degree in 139 years.