liquor storage north carolina distillery

RUB

4 hours ago, RUB said:

How many gallons of liquor can be stored at a North Carolina distillery?

The answer is, it depends.  You should search on MAQ (maximum allowable quantity) on this forum.  Your question in not a North Carolina issue, the same building codes apply throughout the USA.  

17 hours ago, Thatch said:

the same building codes apply throughout the USA.  

As far as building codes being the same throughout the US, this is incorrect.  We are not France or Germany, thank God.  Our building codes differ from state to state.  I have built buildings for my business and houses here in Oregon county MO without any building permits or building inspections and that is perfectly legal.  The only thing that you need to do in my area to build a home, is to have a perc. test done.  The great state of Missouri has no state building code requirements.  Many municipalities do have building code requirements in MO, but not in the county where I live and I love it because it means I can build without all of the cost and hassle of getting permits and having inspections, this gives me lots of advantages that people in other states and municipalities do not have.

Fire and safety codes may differ from state to state as well, but most meet the international fire and safety codes, as a minimum.  Things are this way becouse of the 10th amendment to our constitution.  The 10th amendment is written that way, because when the founders wrote the constitution our United States were more like countries, sort of like the nations in the European Union today. 

Before the civil war Americans said "These United States."  We are not a democracy in the true sense of the word.  We are a Constitutional Republic and this is why the majority of votes does not matter in our presidential elections.  Its all about the delegates, so that the states with smaller populations have more say than they would if we were a true democracy.  

Anyway, the same building codes absolutely do not apply throughout the US.

Disney employees are trained to interpret guests' questions.  When someone asks "What time is the 3:00 parade?"  they aren't asking what time the parade actually starts, but they want to know things like where is a good place to stand to watch it.

Are you looking for storage solutions for aging?   You'll get lots of answers for that.

49 minutes ago, Southernhighlander said:

Anyway, the same building codes absolutely do not apply throughout the US.

Thanks for the Missouri history lesson.  What it has to do with the OP question, I'm not sure.  In any event, North Carolina's building codes are based on the IBC and IBC MAQ would apply.  So, if the OP searches on the term MAQ on this forum that should get him pointed in the right direction.

RUB,

The amount you can have in bond will dictate how many gallons that you can store, max.  Also the type of storage vessels will do so as well.  If your storage tanks are less than 125 gallon capacity, they do not need to have a UL 142 listing in most states.  Also wooden barrels of course do not need to be listed.  Storage vessels larger than 125 gallons must be UL 142 listed for ethanol storage and they must be stainless steel.  Ethanol can be transported in the, properly UL listed, HDPE totes but it can not be stored in those totes.  Also if your storage area is in doors you may need flood retention and fire walls as well as a sprinkler system.  If you store outdoors in a UL142 listed tank, then it is looked at just like an above ground fuel tank and you don't need anything except the TTB approved locks and in some instances a retention/flood wall.

Just now, Thatch said:

Thanks for the Missouri history lesson.  What it has to do with the OP question, I'm not sure.  In any event, North Carolina's building codes are based on the IBC and IBC MAQ would apply.  So, if the OP searches on the term MAQ on this forum that should get him pointed in the right direction.

My US history lesson, was to point out why your statement that "building codes throughout the US are the same" was incorrect.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Southernhighlander said:

Also wooden barrels of course do not need to be listed

You appear to say that wooden barrels do not count toward the MAQ, is that what you have said?

5 minutes ago, Thatch said:

You appear to say that wooden barrels do not count toward the MAQ, is that what you have said?

Wooden barrels are not required to be UL listed and that of course is a correct statement.  I did not reference the MAQ in any way concerning wooden barrels.

Thanks to all that replied.  After looking closer at the MAQ topics i think I found what I was looking for.

The International Building Code allows businesses to store up to 240 Gallons of distilled liquor in a sprinklered building (120 Gallons in an unsprinklered building) without being considered high hazard occupancy (H-occupancy).

24 minutes ago, RUB said:

Thanks to all that replied.  After looking closer at the MAQ topics i think I found what I was looking for.

The International Building Code allows businesses to store up to 240 Gallons of distilled liquor in a sprinklered building (120 Gallons in an unsprinklered building) without being considered high hazard occupancy (H-occupancy).

You got it.  You can also have as much as you want in bottles of 1.3 gallons or less so long as it is not more than 50% ABV.  If what you have in bottles is above 50% ABV it counts toward your MAQ.

40 minutes ago, RUB said:

If you want to get around that you can store outside in a UL 142 listed stainless tank and it is looked at like an above ground fuel tank.  You can store several thousand gallons that way with no sprinkler system needed, but you will first need to check with your city fire and safety inspectors as their may be issues because of your location if you are in a city or town..  I store my ethanol in outside tanks and my fire marshal has no issues with it.  If you use storage vessels over 120 gallons or so they will need to be UL listed even if they are indoors.  Also you can not store in any type of plastic.    paul@distillery-equipment.com  http://distillery-equipment.com