Steam Coil for heating tank.

Absinthe Pete

I'm going to build a still and need to know about steam heating it.

So the tank I'm going to use is 200 gallon and I can either build a jacket around it or make it easy on myself (maybe) and use some sort of coiled tubing inside the tank.

So my question is what do you guys think? Jacket it or use some stainless tubing inside the tank to heat up the wash with steam? If I use a coil any suggestion on diameter, how many times it coils around and shape and placement of it inside the tank? I have a full machine shop and weld stainless all the time. The steam generator we're going to be using is around 175,000 BTU.

Thanks.

So the tank I'm going to use is 200 gallon and I can either build a jacket around it or make it easy on myself (maybe) and use some sort of coiled tubing inside the tank.

So my question is what do you guys think? Jacket it or use some stainless tubing inside the tank to heat up the wash with steam? If I use a coil any suggestion on diameter, how many times it coils around and shape and placement of it inside the tank? I have a full machine shop and weld stainless all the time. The steam generator we're going to be using is around 175,000 BTU.

Thanks.

[/quote

Pete, Can you give me a call. I am also interested in theis type of tank.

Dick Garofalo

(703) 408-2776

Thanks.

After 3 years of distilling I would not want any thing in my still. The fins and coils will need to be cleaned and would be a problem as things get cooked onto the coils. Steam jacket works great and still is easy to clean. Coop

Is the boiler low pressure steam? If so, a jacket would be the most practical. If it is high pressure, I would put coils in the still since the advantage of high pressure steam is reduced heating time. Cleaning may be a little more difficult with coils, but then again, I would never put mash with solids in a pot still. If you have high pressure steam and want to do a jacket you will need a pressure reducing valve to turn down the steam pressure.