2021 IFC and IBC

tndistilling

I apologize if there is another thread on this topic. If there is please refer me to it. 

I see some significant changes to the 2021 IBC and IFC concerning spirits storage and Occupancy Classification. Am I right? 

IFC Chapter 40, IBC 307.11, IBC 311.2, 311.3, IFC 903

Mike

2 hours ago, tndistilling said:

significant changes

There's an awful lot to read there.  What are you asking about specifically?  At a glance it looks like the IFC is now mentioning the IBC regulations in the user note.  Is that what you are referring to?

It appears that the IBC now says specifically that barrel storage is not an H occupancy but is an S2 if it complies with Chapter 40 of the IFC. Chapter 40 was a reserved chapter but now is for Distilled Spirits Storage and has some specific requirements. 

My city uses the 2018 code but this appears to clear up the Barrel exemption in the Fire Code and the IBC which didn't have it. 

I'm just asking if anyone else has dealt with this yet. 

• 2 months later...

We are F-1/S-1.  We are newer construction with proper ventilation and sprinkled.    Based on another thread on this forum I approached our AHJ's about an increase beyond our 240 gallon MAQ.  We are now allowed almost 900 gallons as a phase one based on the information contained in these documents.

The 2021 IBC 307.1.1 notes 18 &19 state that distilleries should follow the 2021 IFC regulations.

Chapter 40 of the 2021 IFC is a new chapter that was added.  It clearly states the rules that distilleries should follow.

In this chapter it states that the chapters 50 and 57 of the 2021 IFC do not apply to spirits stored in barrels. 

• 1 month later...

So reading the IFC and IBC related to distilled spirits.

We have our sites set on an existing block building for our DSP.

The 2021 IBC states "An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided throughout a group F-1 fire area used for the manufacture of distilled spirits"

The same is said for S-1 regarding bulk storage.

We are attempting to avoid the costly install of a sprinkler system.

Our municipality goes by 2020 codes for now, but would we have to sprinkle if/when they decide to go by the newer code requirements? 

Any incite is appreciated!

It's up to your AHJ.  The building should be grandfathered in.  Just because a building has an F-1/S-1 occupancy does not mean that they have to give you a certificate of occupancy for your distillery.

This speaks to the issue of grandfathering.   http://media.iccsafe.org/news/icc-enews/2016v13n16/2015bce_comm_p9-10.pdf

• 1 year later...