Android App Development

I'm a software developer who also happens to be interested in starting a distillery. While I'm learning about distilling, writing a business plan, etc, I'd like to use my programming skills to bring something to the table. If anyone has any ideas, formulas, etc. that you would like to see in one or more android apps, let me know. I will post any finished apps on the Android market, and probably for $1.99 at most, if not for free.

Look into doing something around TTB reporting / inventory management, utilizing QR codes. Reporting is a beast, so freeing it from the laptop or paper would be a huge coup.

Some of the Colorado guys - can't remember who - developed some back-end database tools that might be good to link into.

I'm a software developer who also happens to be interested in starting a distillery. While I'm learning about distilling, writing a business plan, etc, I'd like to use my programming skills to bring something to the table. If anyone has any ideas, formulas, etc. that you would like to see in one or more android apps, let me know. I will post any finished apps on the Android market, and probably for $1.99 at most, if not for free.

Look into doing something around TTB reporting / inventory management, utilizing QR codes. Reporting is a beast, so freeing it from the laptop or paper would be a huge coup.

Some of the Colorado guys - can't remember who - developed some back-end database tools that might be good to link into.

I'm actually a huge fan of QR codes so doing that would be something I'm interested in. I'd of course need to query this forum for suggestions and feature that they would like to see in such an app, but I'm game.

For proofing, I'm always using Tables 1, 5 and 6. It would be great to have these as a lookup App on android (I'm sure an argument could be made to do all of the tables). Scanning with OCR might take some of the labor out of it. It's too bad the pdf's are not of higher a quality.

Even just having Table 1 available would be awesome.

http://www.ttb.gov/foia/Gauging_Manual_Tables/Table_1.pdf (enter proof and temp, get back proof at 60F)

http://www.ttb.gov/foia/Gauging_Manual_Tables/Table_5.pdf (enter proof at 60F, get back weight of wine and proof gallon)

http://www.ttb.gov/foia/Gauging_Manual_Tables/Table_6.pdf (enter proof at 60F, get back volumes of alcohol and water)

There is a program called AlcoDens that does all the necessary calculations.

www.katmarsoftware.com/alcodens.htm

unfortunately it costs about $190, not $1.99 that Brandon thinks his might cost

A trial version is available that can be loaded 9 times before it stops.

It is really good for blending and diluting.

There is an upgrade coming out early next year that makes it simpler to calculate the amount of alcohol in a mix.

I have seen a formula that corrects hydrometer readings at different temperatures but I have not found one for the relationship between SG and ABV. I attempted to calculate a formula. I got close with a polynomial to the 4th order but it was still not good enough.

I then discovered AlcoDens and decided that was easier.

Good luck Brandon, hope you can do it for $1.99

PeteB

I've used the alcodens trial as well, it's great but not going to pay the $190. It's pretty difficult to come up with an equation for these tables, not sure why. There's a freeware program from Cornell Un. called Eureqa that builds mathematical models of data and runs continuous trials to refine them. I let it run for 6 or 7 hours with some of the data from table 7 and the equations it came up with still had pretty significant error.

I'm just going to copy all of these tables into a SQLite database that I can easily reference in my app. As for the formula, I think it becomes difficult because the numbers in the tables seem to be rounded. After reading a few examples in some of the table documentation, it would seem that they may round more than once which would certainly make finding an accurate formula difficult.

CALL ME ABOUT THIS IDEA.

BILL OWENS 510-886-7418

I think you're right, they were published in 1913 amazingly.

I've talked to a couple of chemical engineers I know and noone seems to have another good way to do

this. They keep saying it should be a simple polynomial but error is too high. I'll see if I can find

another source for these data without all the rounding.

I'd love to talk I've worked on this for some time and to dovetail my N1 and its camera function as well as several excel formulas into an a app.

BW

C. 808-214-0220

H.707-857-9945

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update everyone, I decided to start off by focusing on a TTB Gauging app. I've got the basic framework of the app in place and several of the tables implemented. I contacted the TTB and the only way they distribute these tables is by PDF. I put the PDFs through OCR and then copy/pasted them into Excel, and then into my app. This works (hopefully with decent accuracy) for several of the tables, but any larger table is very time consuming. I've got Table 4, 5, and 6 in place. I'll be releasing a beta of the app on here in the form of an APK which can be installed on an Android phone, and would love to get feedback. Once I get more tables and functions implemented, I'll release on the Android market.

Brandon

• 4 weeks later...

I found a pretty basic app on the android market, Stillmate.

It does basic dilution of spirit, fill volumes, and wash boiling point/%alcohol in vapor.

I'm still hoping you're working one up from TTB tables.