Vodka from wine

lowerylisa1

Hi! Looking for advice and opinions. I have 350 gallons of 12% wine that I’d like to make vodka from. I have a 600 gallon pot still that is used to strip our corn mash. I also have a 250 gallon finishing still with a vodka column. I’ve heard of distillers running the wine through the stripping still then through the vodka column, but I’ve also been advised to just run it through the finishing still. I’d like some of the flavors of the wine to transfer to the final distillate. Do I skip the stripping still?

Hi Lisa,

Wine can be turned into some fantastic vodka when done right. The best ones ive had are twice distilled. 

Even with double distillation you will still see come wine flavor carry over.

Cheers,

Kris

Thank you both for your thoughts! I just read that "too much sulfur dioxide can cause unpleasant tastes, a burnt metallic aroma, sneezing and a burning sensation."  I experienced all of that from the time it started running down to about 55 proof!  I bet the wine maker did what JustAndy said. 

There's a few very helpful oxidizing reactions for pesky "SO2" in between your double distillations:

Calcium oxide is used, it will react with SO32−- in wine to precipitate out as CaSO3 in your kettle 

-or-

Activated Carbon is effective as always, SO2 can and will be absorbed and oxidized by AC in presence of O2 and H2O.

-or-

H2O2 is used to oxidize SO32− to SO42in which case it leaves with your stillage instead of hopping over into your collections tank

Addressing SO2 in it dissolved form SO32− is the most convenient but flavor detrimental option.

Good luck

• Thumbs up 2

On 10/26/2022 at 1:12 AM, SlickFloss said:

There's a few very helpful oxidizing reactions for pesky "SO2" in between your double distillations:

Calcium oxide is used, it will react with SO32−- in wine to precipitate out as CaSO3 in your kettle 

-or-

Activated Carbon is effective as always, SO2 can and will be absorbed and oxidized by AC in presence of O2 and H2O.

-or-

H2O2 is used to oxidize SO32− to SO42in which case it leaves with your stillage instead of hopping over into your collections tank

Addressing SO2 in it dissolved form SO32− is the most convenient but flavor detrimental option.

Good luck

That is great info. Thank you so much!

• 3 months later...