Ontario building code

Workpress

Does anyone know where I may find the exact specifications that give volumes and size requirements that are hard facts used in the classification of a distillery as F1 "High hazard industrial occupancy."

I am looking for numbers to help make a case for the size of our still and the size of our building. This is because our local building department has said to us that is the classification of your building, I am the Lord end of discussion. 

numbers must exist, any help would be wonderful

thank you

Workpress

1 hour ago, Workpress said:

Does anyone know where I may find the exact specifications that give volumes and size requirements that are hard facts used in the classification of a distillery as F1 "High hazard industrial occupancy."

What you wrote does not make sense to me.  F-1 is Moderate Hazard and it is one of the places a distillery can be classified.  The link take you to the International Building Code.  Go to section 306.2 and you will see "Beverages; over 16 percent alcohol content".  The only other place you could be classified is Group H which is High Hazard.

Can you explain your issue with the classification so that we might be able to answer the real question.  If you complain too much you might find yourself classified as Group H.  BTW, your Authority Having Juridiction truly is the Lord and Master of his realm and he has applied the lowest possible classification that fits a distillery.  You don't want to upset your AHJ.

https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IBC2021P1/chapter-3-occupancy-classification-and-use#IBC2021P1_Ch03_Sec307

I have to be polite and not sarcastic, and yes we are an F1 classification with a distillery in the building. I am just looking for the low end limits, for example our building is 21,752 sq  my 80L test still produces at most 7L of 93% ethanol, is that vapor volume still "hazardous" in such a large space with adequate natural ventilation? Or is it the act of distilling any amount that is the classification? (would our 1L lab still count also?)

the short question is what are the numbers used to make the classification decision.

The link you provided was another great source of information for me, thank you Thatch.

workpress

2 hours ago, Workpress said:

the act of distilling any amount that is the classification? (would our 1L lab still count also?)

Yes, the act of distilling any amount would be F1.  Not sure where the sarcasm comes in but the code states Beverages over 16% alcohol content.  You will find this quote in 306.2 of the link I sent.