Distilling outside

natbouman

I'm considering setting up so that our direct fire still is in an annex to the main building. The annex would have two, large, insulated barn doors that could open to create cross ventilation (a bit like a threshing barn) and a third door to close off the main structure from the annex so I wouldn't lose heat from the main building when operating the still. The burner would be in a firebox so it would be protected from wind. We'd close up the big exterior doors when not operating the still so that the still wouldn't freeze. Other than the cold in winter (we're in Northeast PA) is there another reason why this would be a bad idea? When I visited Normandy, France a few years ago I found a number of stills set up permanently outside (under a barn roof with maybe one wall but the rest open). It rarely dips too much below freezing there--hovering in the 30s in winter. Basically, I'm interested in this because the set up seems simple and safe.

Run off a gas burner or are you using a fire box? If the latter I would recommend exploring ways that you keep the firebox somewhat "outside" in a sheltered area and you flue the fire box to the still and then your exhaust vent runs to the other side of the building/structure and you look to keep your still on the process side inside or in a generally sheltered area. Not recommending you just do it blindly, recommend you explore ways.

Sorry, I meant a gas burner inside a skirt attached to the still. I'm just thinking that if the still is in an area that is practically out doors while it is operating then there is no chance of alcohol vapor building up. If I operated the still on very cold days I suppose I could get additional reflux in the head and it might alter the very end of the condenser a bit.

• 2 months later...

For the first 5 years of our distillery, I ran my still off propane in a metal shed away from our bottling building.  We build a fire box,  and left it open in the front with a flue going out the top of the small building.  The building was built from 2 inch steel tube and the walls were all metal.  So, nothing to burn there.  Worked rather well, never feared for our safety.  We are in Texas, so can't speak to much to fighting off the cold.

James