Getting approval of distillery site.

Pofarmer

So we have a building, unfinished, but workable, open floor plan. Smallish but it's a start. Is there any way to connect the TTB and make sure that this site is acceptable to them other than just go through the permitting process and find out? The building needs to undergo a buildout and alterations to work.  I've heard some horror stories about goes going completely through the permitting process and then whoever inspected their site says "Nyet."  I'd like to avoid that pain.  Thanks.

You can reach out directly to them to discuss the site, they probably won't make any promises about whether or not its acceptable. 

Best thing to do is to reach out to a local distillery to talk about it with them and see how similar your sites are, or hire on a consultant to help you get through the process and make sure all the boxes are checked.

1 hour ago, Pour Decisions said:

TTB's requirements are much easier to meet than your local AHJ. I'd start with your local zoning/codes offices and find out whether their requirements are capable of being met at the proposed site.

ditto - far more important.  Your local AHJ may not want a distillery in their jurisdiction.  TTB requirement are not that difficult to meet but talking to your local building inspector and fire marshall come first.   Are they okay with this?  What is their read on the building and fire codes with regard to a distillery?  Keep in mind, this is THEIR turf.

4 hours ago, Pour Decisions said:

TTB's requirements are much easier to meet than your local AHJ. I'd start with your local zoning/codes offices and find out whether their requirements are capable of being met at the proposed site.

Local zoning is non existent in the county. The main problem is wastewater with the State.

2 hours ago, Thatch said:

ditto - far more important.  Your local AHJ may not want a distillery in their jurisdiction.  TTB requirement are not that difficult to meet but talking to your local building inspector and fire marshall come first.   Are they okay with this?  What is their read on the building and fire codes with regard to a distillery?  Keep in mind, this is THEIR turf.

Yeah, there literally is no local building codes or fire Marshall in the County outside of the City limits.  

Then I would just make sure its as safe as you can reasonably make it and go from there, as long as the site conforms to the few restrictions set out by the TTB you should be good to go then.