Vodka Filtration Units

General Carbon in Paterson, NJ has designed and fabricated large scale carbon filtration systems for a number of Caribbean rum distilleries.  No affiliation, but hung out with them for an afternoon.  They know their stuff when it comes to activated carbon.  No frills, don't wear white if you ever go.

Maybe I can help you as we produce stationary filters, as a standard it is a 120cm 4' stainless steel tube with all valves and silicone hoses but to handle 5000L per week I think we can manage a bigger one. Reach me at pl@g-still.com and maybe we can figure something out. 

Adam

On 3/12/2024 at 7:57 AM, Classick said:

is there a reason you're not considering lenticular filtration housings with carbon impregnated filter media cartridges?

They just dont seem to do the job, we have a few here already and the data on them is so scant. If you buy the Pall units it is a serious investment- or you go Chinese but it would seem granulated activated charcoal is still the most effective

On 3/12/2024 at 8:05 AM, Kindred Spirits said:

I always recommend #2 stainless housings with bulk granular carbon to my clients. Its a cheap and easy way to get super clean vodka.

yeah thats what we are doing via a gravity fed system- with additional carbon on the interior of the feed tank, produces great vodka just super slow- it may be that we just need multiple/ bigger units

On 3/12/2024 at 11:57 AM, Silk City Distillers said:

General Carbon in Paterson, NJ has designed and fabricated large scale carbon filtration systems for a number of Caribbean rum distilleries.  No affiliation, but hung out with them for an afternoon.  They know their stuff when it comes to activated carbon.  No frills, don't wear white if you ever go.

Cheers Silk I will drop them a note

10 hours ago, Castaway Fiji said:

yeah thats what we are doing via a gravity fed system- with additional carbon on the interior of the feed tank, produces great vodka just super slow- it may be that we just need multiple/ bigger units

Those housings are pretty cheap so it wouldn't be too much of an investment to add another one or two if needed. I usually have clients filter 2000L over the course of 24-48 hours