Barrel wax

I have a couple barrels bulging and leaking from the heads. I pulled them apart and swapped out the leaking head with the good head on the other, to have one good barrel. They already had some wax sealing around the insides of the heads. I placed a new bead of paraffin mineral wax around the where the head seats, but now am unsure. Do I need to worry about the wax affecting the flavor at all? 

Household paraffin wax is food-grade rated, so flavor taint will not happen.  The cooper's traditional sealing compound is beeswax, however. 

First, heat the croze (the groove in the body of the barrel where the head meets) all the way around with a heat gun, then apply molten wax at the intersection of heading and the croze.

• Thumbs up 1

Jeremy over at "Devil's Cask" makes a barrel sealant that may be of interest to you. Non interactive with the sprits so you won't have to worry about any flavor issues.

Tell him Steve sent you, he will hook you up.

47 minutes ago, adamOVD said:

@Kindred Spirits Thanks for the tip, I live in a very dry area. Do you use the sealant personally? Find it makes a large difference?

I have had some extensive chats with the owner, due to looking for an option for a client of mine that lives in a super dry area as well.  

According to his research numbers I was convinced enough to have a client try getting a gallon.  I haven't used it personally but the science all made sense to me when we were going over it.

33 minutes ago, whiskeytango said:

You can always do a paste of flour and water    

Flour and water does work, but it flakes off and makes a mess. Plus then hopefully you have some distillery cats to deal with the mice. 

Just now, Kindred Spirits said:

Flour and water does work, but it flakes off and makes a mess. Plus then hopefully you have some distillery cats to deal with the mice. 

It is a bit messy and yes I do have a distillery cat so pest control Check!  

49 minutes ago, whiskeytango said:

It is a bit messy and yes I do have a distillery cat so pest control Check!  

Then you have what you need!

My clients space is so dry, he would have to constantly be replacing the paste, so he wanted a more "permanent" option.

I do run a humidifier in my barrel room, and have changed my barrel supplier. They are a superior build quality, and leaks are less of an issue these days. The leaking barrels are the last of some older ones I'm refilling for a second use. The sealant seems like it might be a good idea worth looking into though.

@Kindred Spirits did you hear back anything from your client? Is he happy with it? 

5 hours ago, adamOVD said:

I do run a humidifier in my barrel room, and have changed my barrel supplier. They are a superior build quality, and leaks are less of an issue these days. The leaking barrels are the last of some older ones I'm refilling for a second use. The sealant seems like it might be a good idea worth looking into though.

@Kindred Spirits did you hear back anything from your client? Is he happy with it? 

He's just purchasing some now so I won't have a report for a while. 

• Thumbs up 1