CIP details

bradocaster

I need help understanding the CIP process. Could someone give a quick overview of what is involved, and how it works?

Thanks, Brad

Rinse, hot caustic (NaOH), rinse, acid (citric), rinse (optional). Recircutated with pump through spray-balls. Caustic may or may not be reused for future cleaning. Caustic removes soil, acid sweetens/sanitizes. Neutral pH of waste rinse water confirms caustic/acid have been sufficiently removed. Quick enough?

Very good thanks.do spray balls cover every surface?

Rinse, hot caustic (NaOH), rinse, acid (citric), rinse (optional). Recircutated with pump through spray-balls. Caustic may or may not be reused for future cleaning. Caustic removes soil, acid sweetens/sanitizes. Neutral pH of waste rinse water confirms caustic/acid have been sufficiently removed. Quick enough?

I don't know much about CIP and I do have questions as well as I'm working on a CIP system right now. What I do know is placement, or my understanding of placement. Basically you have a spray ball, as see in the link below, for each area. So you have a spray ball for each plate in the still, one for the boiler and then one for any other area, such as any gin baskets or reflux coils and so forth. The balls can be fixed or rotating. I think for distillation you want the rotating balls.

What I need to know is what kind of pump? I think you need 50 PSI? Then you need some sort of return line from the bottom of your still and a heater to heat up the solution, I guess it's a closed system?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOLDREN-BROTHERS-INC-CIP-SPRAY-BALLS-SPL-SB30-/250781224305?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a63b9cd71#ht_500wt_922

Pete -

The temp of your CIP will depend on the chemicals you are using. Your chem supplier should be able to provide contact time v. temp needed to achieve the desired result. Typical CIP applications use hot CIP to decrease the contact time required. When CIPing a tank, it is typically a close loop system. The drain on the tank will supply the pump which will pump through the spray ball. You fill the tank with the appropriate volume of water (usually hot) and add the chems, check your fluid path, open the drain and turn on the pump. You will let the closed loop cycle for the predetermined amount of time.

The pump type used will be determined by a few factors: Gallons per minute rating (at a specific head height), temp requirement, chemical compatibility for the seals / elastomers in the pump v. the product(s) you are pumping.

You mention 50psi - this would indicate that you want to use an Air Diaphragm Pump. This is an excellent choice for a multi purpose pump that can operate in a hazardous (explosion proof) area. They are typically inexpensive, require very little maintenance and are washdown. Make sure that you really check out the chemical compatibility of the pump body, the diaphragm and the checks and seats on the pump. You will also most likely require a S.S. body to accomodate the heat. A more typical pump used in CIP applications is a centrifugal pump. You should get one with a washdown motor if you go this route. These are dependable pumps that are easy to understand and still affordable - BUT if you require the pump to operate in a hazardous environment, adding an EXP motor to this pump drives the cost WAY up.

Very good thanks.do spray balls cover every surface?

You should try to visit near by distilleries or maybe micro breweries to view one before trying to make your own. A good CIP system is really worth its weight in gold. Our is built in at the factory and is set up for recycling cleaning solution through a closed loop from the still thought all columns and plates. It uses a 2800 psi 6 stage pump. Coop

Great answers. Thanks again,

Brad

You should try to visit near by distilleries or maybe micro breweries to view one before trying to make your own. A good CIP system is really worth its weight in gold. Our is built in at the factory and is set up for recycling cleaning solution through a closed loop from the still thought all columns and plates. It uses a 2800 psi 6 stage pump. Coop