Uncommon Grains

Collin

Does anyone have any experience with grains other then rye, corn, wheat, barley? I saw that Koval/Lion's Pride has released an oat, millet and a spelt whiskey. I have yet to try any of them, but am greatly intrigued. These are not your common ingredients. So does anyone have any taste profiles on these grains, or experience working with them?

I am just curious about their viability because of the recent increase in grain prices. It may be a good time to diversify.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

I've made an oat vodka that was really excellent. Our oats had hulls on them, much harder to work with than barley hulls, and the oats themselves didn't really mill well. The product was quite good though.

John, how would you describe the "flavor profile". I don't know how you are set up, but if you do multiple distillations how did it taste/smell on your first/second. Did you notice a difference in the vodka over other grains?

Thanks.

Collin, we did a stripping run and then a finishing run on a double column vodka still. The flavor was not as distinctive as the mouth feel. It was soft and full bodied in the mouth a bit like a potato vodka can be. The flavor was very neutral but over-all an interesting spirit.

• 2 weeks later...

I have some spirit made with sorghum. It is a Chinese spirit called "Flying Fairy Jiu" and it comes in an interesting ceramic bottle (375 ml) from my local giant Asian market. It's 80% sorghum and 20% wheat. A very sweet and unusual flavor. On the side it says "dense aroma distillery wine."