Complaint against you

I received an email this morning claiming a complaint has been made with the ICC Arbitrage Commission against my company and I should contact the given link. Sadly the link goes to a site called turklive.com which isn't any of the ICC sites. I wouldn't recommend clicking on the link as it probably leads to some kind of malware.

Anyone else get such a message?

I did send email to someone at ICC here in the US to notify them of the misuse of their name.

This email is intended to make you aware of the complaint number No 87710 filled with the International Chamber of Commerce by Hughes Trading LTD on 13.06.2011.

The ICC is an arbitrary organization and this trough this message we make an appeal to your common sense trying to reach a common ground and debate the complaint filled by our member before moving forward to legislative solution.

A copy of the complaint as well as more information regarding the complaint filled against your company is available at :

[link deleted so someone doesn't really go to that site. turklive.com with a slash followed by with word complaint]

The Commission on Arbitration aims to create a forum for experts to pool ideas and impact new policy on practical issues relating to international arbitration, the settlement of international business disputes and the legal and procedural aspects of arbitration. The Commission also aims to examine ICC dispute settlement services in view of current developments, including new technologies.

I received an email this morning claiming a complaint has been made with the ICC Arbitrage Commission against my company and I should contact the given link. Sadly the link goes to a site called turklive.com which isn't any of the ICC sites. I wouldn't recommend clicking on the link as it probably leads to some kind of malware.

Anyone else get such a message?

I did send email to someone at ICC here in the US to notify them of the misuse of their name.

Cheryl,

Seems like phishing is on the rise. They are getting more sophisticated too. I had one to my legitimate business email that said there was a problem with one of my ACH transactions. Seemed legit, and it was even from my bank. But with a phone call, I was able to determine it was fake. Scary stuff... gotta stay vigilant!

Scott

Hm, yes suspicious. Got another one today saying it was from FFIEC that unusual international transactions were occurring from my bank account and a letter would be sent. But the link which looks more legitimate really takes you to the costumefairy.info web site. Plus now I think a supoena can't be sent by email. Wait... subpoena is misspelled. I wonder what sesisation means?

OK, I don't think I'll bother the real FFIEC unless I get a real letter. But maybe Interpol agents will show up... smile.gif

OK here's a few tips for everyone, please listen as they are easy and can come in handy.

Most of the time a subpoena must be hand delivered to the intended person, or by mail. It will never be emailed.

Next NO MATTER WHAT EMAILS I GET AND FROM WHO I NEVER CLICK ON THE LINKS...EVER!!!! If there is any doubt, which is all the time these days, about the legitimacy of an email then always type in the web address. NEVER CLICK ON LINKS IN EMAILS.

Email link may look like the correct web address, example www.paypal.com/youraccount but it can be hyper linked to another web address even though it says the correct address in text.

Just type it in. A few years ago I got an email from Paypal saying that it's sending me a confirmation email that I changed my address, well I knew it was a scam and just tossed the email. A few days later I received another email thanking me for confirming my new address. DAM those guys are clever, I was worried for a second. SO I just closed my email program, opened up Internet Explorer and typed in Paypal.com and logged in. It of course was a scam.

The moral of the story is type in the address by hand and you'll always be safe.

If you get an email from someone you don't know and it doesn't contain any information of a specific nature that the sender would have to know you (as a customer or whatever) to know, like an account number, or 'member since' date, then discard it. Even if it purports to be an entity you do business with, like your bank. Your bank will always include something in the email, like an account number, that is specific to the relationship. If all the sender knows is your name and email address, delete it.

The risk of discarding something legit is almost zero, while the risk from clicking on a malicious link or opening a malicious file is huge.

Misspelled words are a pretty sure clue.