glycol chiller prices

hagar681

I am very new to the board. I have followed posts for quite a while but did not wish to post until I was fairly certain that I would move forward with my distillery plans. I am at that point now. Before I ask my question, I want to take a moment to thank those of you that have already given me guidance. There are some great people on this forum, who really are concerned with helping the new guy out and having him succeed. I have gained a wealth of knowledge here.

My question today is.......does anyone have any info on the small portable glycol chillers and what they may cost. I have read some posts about them here but have never really seen any true pricing. I received pricing on one unit when I was at a class at Koval Distillery in Chicago. It was more than $10,000. Is that a fairly safe estimate for what I would have to invest for a small glycol system? I know I could operate without a glycol system for a while. It's just one of those things that seems like it would make life easier.

I specify and supply all kinds of cooling systems, among which are the smaller portable chillers.

With chillers, it depends on what temperature you ask for on the supply side, the colder you go, the larger the HP and sometimes if 24F for cold filtering, a larger circulating pump.

Another thing how exactly much BTU/hr you are asking for. If you need you process time shorter, then the HP goesw up again.

For instance, a 3.5 HP, 24F chiller for indoor installation rated at about 17,000 btu/hr can get up to $10,000 or a little less depending on options.

$10,000 can buy you a 50F chiller that will be 5 - 7.5HP for indoor chillers, a couple grand more for outdoor ones.

The best thing to do is get as much information together to pin point the total btu/hr load to ask for.

The last thing is what voltage you have: 230/1/60, 230/3/60 or 460/3/60 (some manufacturers are cutting out 230 volt units, so you have to buy a step up transformer).

Please let me know what you need and I would be happy to price something up (also if this is an urgent need or can wait a couple months.)

Regards,

Mike

Gwkent has their prices listed with their chillers. I have to agree with MG Thermal, think very hard what you want the chiller to do. I don't think that it would be good for your condenser if that is what you are thinking. The chiller size would just been huge. Maybe to cool a large reservoir overnight and then to the condenser. If just for the fermenters and maybe chill filtering the size would be much smaller. The really cheap way of doing this without a chiller and not just flushing city or well water is an AC unit or I have even heard using chest freezers...

Cheers,

Jeff

I am only thinking about the fermenter and chill filtering. The property I'm looking at is fed by a natural spring and the ground water in the area I'm located stays pretty cool year round so I should have unlimited cool condenser water. If I can fit it into my start up budget I'd like to purchase a glycol system for fermenter and filtering. A freezer is an idea that I had learned at Koval. Starting out they placed their product in vessels and left it in the freezer over night and then chill filtered it in the morning. That may be the option I go with too, but glycol would be nice.