sniff sniff...Do I stink?

I have a really crank neighbor. We share a wall and for three years he has been complaining about the smell I generate. We are in zoned Light Industrial. Certificate of Occupance, all local permits, IBC, IFC, and all the rest. I have and use an exhaust vent (required by IBC).

I still smell like a distillery. We mash 1200 liters 5 times a week, ferment, distill, dump and blend barrels.

I know that my neighbor will do anything to get me shut down. His wife is in recovery and he is seathing mad.

Has anyone had experience with this type of issue?

I know that there is a limit to how much smell I can emit. Is my odor (from the distillery) measurable?

I don't want the city to fine me or make me move....

Thank you in advance for your insight.

Brad Irwin,

Oregon Spirit Distillers

First off, I have no idea what a liter is I live in the USA, I know what a gallon is so that may be your problem. Just kidding.

All joking aside. What type of space are you in, I assume it's a business type of area and not a converted home next to another home? What type of business does he run next door if he is running a business? Next did he move in next to you or did you move in next to him?

Any pictures of the space from the outside?

Well if you asked him and if its an industrial complex I wouldn't worry. First off it's industrial commercial space, two just cause someone is in recovery doesn't mean the rest of the world can't drink. Lastly I don't think fermentation smells that bad it's not like its manure farm.

Other than him being a pain, there's not much he can do. But, don't admit the there is an odor problem, there's an odor but may not be a problem for anyone else, with that said: I am considering opening a second distillery in our downtown area and this is a concern for me in the location that the city wants me located. (They are trying to increase the tourism business in the downtown area and have asked me to relocate or set up a 2nd distillery.)

So the issue is the "Who defines what is "Obnoxious", and what is "Not"".

As a HVAC, Mech. Contractor of 20 years, you can mitigate the odor by increasingly the amount of fresh air and use a bigger exhaust fan to dilute the odors to a greater extent.

We're located in a small downtown and generate plenty of stink, but the only ones who complain are the kids. It never gets old to have a 6 year old come into the tasting room with parent and proclaim, "it stinks like beer in here!". We're next to a couple other retail businesses and across the street from a few restaurants Most seem to enjoy the aromas that emanate on some days. I had multiple folks approach me about how nice the town smelled when I was distilling brandy.

Brad, I suspect you'd be fine since you already are in opperation with all local approvals. The only instance i'm aware of where potential stink thwarted a distillers ambitions of setting up shop was in the town just north of us (Leadville, co). From what I understand, this fellow attempting to gain local approval to set up a dsp in a mixed industrial/residential area was prevented from doing so by neighbors' complaints. They took issue citing the potential objectionable smells the he might produces. The space was previously an autobody shop.

If it were me, I'd probably counter to him that he's making your distillery smell like fly rods! Good luck dealing with this fool.

Brad, having been to you place I have to say it's one of the best smelling distilleries I have been in!! :-) Also, seeing where you are located I can't see where this guy has a legitimate complaint. I know that doesn't help the problem but thought I would give me two cents. I am looking for space in Portland and have rejected a couple spots based solely on the proximity of neighbors and what type of business they are running.

Surprise? I wonder. See if you can find out why you had a 'surprise inspection' if they tell you because someone complained or called it in then you know it's your neighbor.

If that is the case I would go over there politely and have a frank conversation. Something along the lines of "I asked before moving if a distillery would bother you and you said no" "this is an industrial complex, I mean if someone moved in next door grinding metal all day long, loudly, you would probably not like that either, but this is not residential it's commercial business property", finally "this is my lively hood if you continue to pull this kind of stuff I will be forced to retaliate with my lawyer"

I went to the city code enforcement officer to request a voluntary inspection. He said that it was not necessary, we are with in the code for emissions for our LI zone. I am currently in compliance with the TTB, OLCC, IFC, IBC, IRS, City of Bend, Oregon Dept. of Aggriculture, OSHA, and my wife's opinion. This as been an interesting experience