Can you distill but not sell with just your DSP and no state permit?

Blooztune

I hope I'm getting close to getting my DSP. Then its fun with the state ;-) It just occured to me that we might be able to develop product (use the still) but not sell product until we get through the state process (we're in Massachusetts).

This assumes that the state permit is for the sale and distribution of product, not necessarily the making of it. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,

Steve

Depends on the state, I did until the state ABC agent came for a visit. Then I had to get the state distilling license.

I'm definitely getting the state license, but was hoping to start distilling during that process.

That "visit" must have been interesting ;-)

In our state we could not "manufacture" without a state permit, NOT just sell. On the other hand, that did not prevent us from running the still. We could test, prototype, etc. The key issue was whether anything we were going to make would be for later sale, in which case it was manufacture, and we needed the state permit for that. Since the state (not the feds) did an on site inspection prior to providing the permit, if I had accumulated product that could be seen as for sale in advance of that, I guess our permit could have been at risk. But every state is different, I would assume.

Reads like you may need to visit the MASS.GOV/ABCC site to look at the licenses to see what they allow you to do. You need a license to distill. Getting a license from the Commonwealth won't take long after you have your Federal DSP. Maybe you can call and get the preliminary work done. Field inspection, etc. I would not distill without it. Is it worth the risk to upset the ABCC? They are good people and work for you. Besides you would not sell anyway until you get your TTB packaging approvals. Good luck and have fun.

Reads like you may need to visit the MASS.GOV/ABCC site to look at the licenses to see what they allow you to do. You need a license to distill. Getting a license from the Commonwealth won't take long after you have your Federal DSP. Maybe you can call and get the preliminary work done. Field inspection, etc. I would not distill without it. Is it worth the risk to upset the ABCC? They are good people and work for you. Besides you would not sell anyway until you get your TTB packaging approvals. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks Bob. This is Steve down in Plymouth. We actually just got our DSP about 4 hours ago. Yay! So I guess I can join the new guild, huh?

I've started gathering the paperwork, but didn't start the application process officially with the ABCC because the application required the DSP. I'll be hitting it hard on Tuesday though.

I agree, Its probably better to keep on the straight and narrow and not piss off anybody at the ABCC. We're just so anxious to get started......