Hello from Northern California

Hey Everyone! Just thought I would take a minute to introduce myself. Name's Connor and I'm a winemaker in Northern California. The winery that I am responsible for is going to be starting a distillery soon and I guess I'm going to be the distiller too! Exciting!

We have a 25hl Prulho Charentais cognac still and were looking into making some whiskey and brandy. If anyone has experience with a still like this please let me know! I am in the process of setting it up as we speak. It's very old and there a few parts we need to replace before we get it finished.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Cheers,

Connor

looks like you got a good amount of elbow grease into that beauty

Steve

Oh yes. And quite a bit more to go! I want to get the preheater stripped down to show its copper as well since the paint is in bad shape. The condenser's paint is looking good so I think I will leave that.

Thanks for the interest guys! I'll be sure to keep you updated on our progress.

Connor

So far it doesn't look like much if anything is missing. There are things that are broken or just need to be replaced though. Ours came with very bulky/ugly automated butterfly valves who's cords are all cut and would be a pain to hook up again. We'd like to get manual ones like the ones in this picture

image402.jpg

The wood supports for the condenser coils are all rotten and I'm working on replacing those right now.

If anyone knows how to make our copper shine like the one in the picture please let me know!!

Thanks! I don't mind sharing at all but unfortunately its not a very reproducible scenario, we just got really lucky with our find. We had already decided that we wanted to start a distillery and were looking into what kind of still we wanted when we were actually just driving down some backroad and saw this thing sitting in a lawn. We both just looked at each other and knew that this was our still. We found out who the property belonged to by knocking on doors and finally got a hold of the owner who was living in NY and he was more than happy to let it go to a good home.

Here's a new picture of its progress, just got the preheater stripped down!

mhNgPzB.jpg

• 3 years later...

Oh wow that is a great story/find. Wish you the best Connor! Talk about putting your intentions out there for the universe and then wham, you drive right past that beauty.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...