Reaction Tank bells and whistles

mendodistilling

I'm about to order a reaction tank to cook grains/corn and mix up sugar, etc. Its got a bottom agitator, 2" outlet, and a top manway, co2 port, and cip port, maybe a temp gauge. What else can you think of that could be beneficial? Its steam jacketed. The idea was to set this up for corn mashing and grain and anything else, mild heating of sugar and honey, but without the need for having a brewery right away. Its something I want but this is going to be the best way for me right now.

Any input on things you've experienced. It is a gear driven impeller and I'm working on figuring out an air drive system or getting the motor mount made universal so I can get motors here, the company doesn't make them with UL approval. I know my local gov't will probably not let that fly so I'm looking into ideas like pneumatic and locally sources motors.

And if you put a jacket on the tank, at least have it rated for 35 psig.

You have a problem with cooling water flow (closed loop) when you try to set up a cooling system when the tank jacket is only good for 15 psi (used for steam heat on the front end).

You wind up putting some expensive valves to ensure pressure from pump not bursting the jacket and still getting flow you need for cooling, especially if you have to get a modulating 3- way bypass valve, a bypass line, check valve and control for the 3 way valve. This can be an issue on mash tanks when you are told you can crash cool by pumping chilled water through the jacket after heating.

Everyone should be well advised to find out what the capacity of the jacket (by experimenting if necessary) is for the jacket when pumping chilled water through it.

yes, internal coils are in the design. does a vortex build from the mixer spinning? ive been told that a 5% offset of the motor mount can keep this from becoming a problem. that is what i asked for in the design. id like to be able to cook sugar, corn, and grains. i'd like to also be ablemto use this as a raw grain cooker for using unmalted products in beer recipes in the brewery. mainly lager beers or rice, etc.

Oh, wonderful. yes, I've heard of people flushing cold water through the dimple jacket and causing the metal to tear apart from temp stress. this is essentially a tank, steam jacket, internal coils so I can process grains, sugar or corn mashes since corn seems to be a viscous bastard. i'm wondering about direct injection steam for potatoes but i'm not gonna get carried away, haha.

I'm about to order a reaction tank... Its got a 2" outlet...

Any input on things you've experienced...

While there may be one or two occasions where your 2" outlet won't be big enough, a 3" outlet will never disappoint. I'd recommend having the tank manufactured with a 3" outlet, then reducing that down to 2" with a fitting, if desired. That way, if worse comes to worse for whatever reason, all you've got to do is remove a fitting and you're rocking 3". Cutting into a finished tank to change a 2" outlet to a 3" outlet, on the other hand, is so much of a pain in the ass you probably wouldn't even consider attempting it.

I'd look at a 3" outlet (even if you never actually end up using it) as cheap insurance that the outlet will never give you any problems.

Nick

P.S. Come to think of it, if you ever wanted to pasteurize a bunch of crushed fruit or something like that, you may want to go as high as 6" and adapt down. One never knows what the future will bring.