UL rating for your still

whiskeytango

Artisan Still Design. A 60 gallon electric bain marie heat and a 500 L steam jacketed (on the way, can't wait Steven!) Artisan Still. My guess is Vendome and the German's don't have UL ratings either, but I believe Vendome is ASME rated shop...They want a UL rating on the steam jacket? You could probably get a UL test done on-site or maybe just test that it can handle 15 psi with no UL rating, but it all sounds kind of crazy and unnecessary. Nothing is under pressure other than the steam jacket if that is what you are running. The still is not a pressure vessel and it might help to point this out. I understand your pain though, I had plenty of trouble with my sprinkler system thanks to the fire department. State licensed fire sprinkler engineering company was saying they are rated H2 occupancy (and I am only F2), but the fire department wanted to see all the calculations, a code study, etc. Huge pain and a waste of 6 months. After getting my business license though, I haven't see the fire department again. What size is your still?

The still is not a pressure vessel and it might help to point this out.

This misinformation needs to stop on this forum. All stills, regardless of design, type, heating source, etc are to be considered pressure vessels and must have both pressure and vacuum break relief valves. Period. Please revise your statements and thinking accordingly. Running a still without the proper safety equipment and basic operational & design knowledge is a scary situation at best, suggesting that stills are not to be treated as pressure vessels is setting up someone to die.

Cheers,

The still is not a pressure vessel and it might help to point this out.

This misinformation needs to stop on this forum. All stills, regardless of design, type, heating source, etc are to be considered pressure vessels and must have both pressure and vacuum break relief valves. Period. Please revise your statements and thinking accordingly. Running a still without the proper safety equipment and basic operational & design knowledge is a scary situation at best, suggesting that stills are not to be treated as pressure vessels is setting up someone to die.

Cheers,

yes indeed they are, but there is a world of difference between pressure vessels for use below 15psi and those for use above.

below 15psi requires an ASME certified overpressure relief valve. any vessel above 15psi must itself be ASME certified.

there are UL guidelines you need to be aware of while manufacturing these vessels, but while your inspector may ask for documentation of compliance, it is not required.

John, I believe you are speaking specifically to Jeff W's post, to clarify, he is talking about the outer jacketing is "Zero Pressure" we can be assured of this as it is vented to atmosphere. I can understand the confusion but I believe the two of you are talking about very different things.

My option is the still is not a pressure vessel. It is what is called an "an open system - closed process" that means it is open to the atmosphere, but the product starts as a liquid and ends as a liquid as it exits the still. I could see a relief valve but if its truley open then why create a can of worms?

As for the seam jacket it should have a rating or signed off by a liciened engineer before the manufacturing began. All of the steam jackets I make are engineered to 250 psi at 400f.

That is just my 2 cents.