Fermenter Bottom Style

ebstauffer

Our small distillery is expanding and are ready to order fermenters. Previously we used HDPE totes which have served us quite well (we'll have a dozen free for pickup once these are delivered). We're moving toward 2500 L stainless fermenters. Looking for some input on bottom design. Our primary products are a single malt style whiskey, grain-in whiskeys, and rum. We're considering:

post-5240-0-98503400-1432032683_thumb.pn

60° conical

post-5240-0-60574700-1432032688_thumb.pn

15° conical

post-5240-0-64990700-1432032692_thumb.pn

slope bottom

We're leaning toward the 15° conical. Any input on these styles?

The 15 degree seems to be the most practical for those all in combination.

60 would be great for Rum. After fermentation racking would is a breeze, much similar to a beer

15 would offer some of the same, and the shape would allow the heat of fermentation to self distribute

The slope I've primarily have seen for grape fermentation or where your shoveling out solids to press or distill in this case.

I think you will find that 60° conical (beer fermenters) are more expensive and probably not needed/wanted for grain-in fermentation. The cone is designed to hold solids (mostly dead yeast) that fall out of suspension during fermentation in as small an area as possible and also to move it as close to the exit as possible. If you are doing grain in this is unnecessary and probably unwanted.

Replying to my own post... We considered the 60° to accommodate the rum & single malt styles as it would be useful to leave the yeast cake behind. I suppose we could have another TC fitting tigged to the 15° to pull the beer out from above the cake.

Replying to my own post... We considered the 60° to accommodate the rum & single malt styles as it would be useful to leave the yeast cake behind. I suppose we could have another TC fitting tigged to the 15° to pull the beer out from above the cake.

From the drawings the 15 degree has a racking valve below the door. Pump from there and once you get below the door, open it up and stick a hose in and rack off the yeast cake on the bottom.