How far can I run a steam line to a still?

Fourlix

I am working on my layout. Everything that is plumbed is on one wall. Is 60 feet too far to efficiently run low pressure steam to a stripper still? Putting the boiler room in the middle looks like sh!+. We are talking about 4 stills and a mash tun. This last still may never see service, but we want it in the plan.

Heat loss based on travel is what we are talking about. I am on Propane, so energy is a huge issue for me, in terms of cost, efficiency and volume. The still that is farthest from the Boiler is a big heavy stripper still, that I am making out of a Jet Fuel tank that I think I will direct fire instead of steam jacket. I pick up my 800,000 BTU low pressure steam boiler on Tuesday, unless it snows. That will run everything else, which is closer than 40 feet. Pieces of the puzzle....

• 2 weeks later...

60 ft is perfectly fine. insulation helps alot but is not necessary as long as you size your boiler properly taking into account heat loss based on travel

My line is over 60ft, no insulation, no problems. Takes my mash from 60 degrees to 188 degrees in 30 minutes from boiler turn on so that includes the boiler heat up time.

post-11117-0-08597900-1453415231_thumb.jI am figuring that it is better to have the steam lines short and the propane line long, as one 1.5 inch pipe is cheaper than two steam pipes. Here's a pic of my boiler, a Triad 1600 rejetted to 680MBTU propane. Stock Nat gas jetting was 1200MBTU input, 1,000MBTU output. I can rejet if I need to and bring it up to 800MBTU propane......How did I upload those photos...hmmmm

• 3 weeks later...

My neighbor runs a steam line roughly 200 meters from his boiler to his mashing tun. As the others have said, 60 feet (roughly 30 meters) should not be a problem. He has no insulation.

To his stills it is 30 - 40 meters (90 - 120 feet) with no insulation.