Wages for production assistant?

Hoping that I'm posting in the right place...

I'm hoping for some feedback and suggestions as to a reasonable wage for a production assistant with no experience beyond a 12 month certificate in applied craft brewing (+ ~100 hours as an intern in our distillery) and some home brewing experience. What are others paying folks for what is basically unskilled labor and will require much supervision and additional training in order to eventually be able to manage the various processes and reporting without supervision?

13 hours ago, bluestar said:

After internship, $10/hr, bump to $12/hr in 6mo, then to $15/hr in 1 yr.

This is shockingly close to what we do. In our experience the luster of distilling wears of in about a year and the realization that it's hard work and long hours settle in. Those that make it to a year at our place are paid $15/hr. + (modest)  incentives.

3 hours ago, indyspirits said:

This is shockingly close to what we do. In our experience the luster of distilling wears of in about a year and the realization that it's hard work and long hours settle in. Those that make it to a year at our place are paid $15/hr. + (modest)  incentives.

We are both in the midwest, so not surprising it is similar. Could imagine you might have to pay more near major urban areas on the coasts.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, guys! Our intern declined the job starting him at $12/hr as he was expecting closer to $30/hr - even after I showed him a job listing for an established brewery offering $14/hr for a head brewer with minimum two years professional experience. Apparently he didn't bother to do much research into the industry pay rates before he decided to pursue a career in brewing/ distilling.