Hi 

I am considering purchasing a double diaphragm pump to pump my mash from the mash tun to the fermenter then from the fermenter to he still then from the still to holding tanks. I will be distilling on the grain. My equipment is all just 100 gallons. I am hoping to get your opinion on this set of specs.: 1.5" inlet/outlet aluminum double diaphragm self priming pump , ball  is EPDM, check seat and diaphragm santoprene, max temp 212F and maximum solids 9/16". What do you think.

Thank You in advance

• 2 weeks later...

We have a very similar operation, and use a pump with very similar stats to yours. Except our maximum particle size is a little smaller at 1/4", and our diaphragms are Teflon/Santoprene, and we move 180gal at a time. It works great for us. I'm curious if you can actually use a solely Santopene diaphragm if you are moving hot stillage, but I'd leave that up to the technical people at your pump dealer.

One thing that is very important is grounding your double diaphragm pump if you are pumping ethanol.  If the pump is not grounded, then static electricity created by the flow may cause a spark and massive fire and or explosion.  This can occur even with pumps with non metallic parts.  We have grounding kits for lots of different double diaphragm pumps.  417-778-6100 paul@distillery-equipment.com  We do not have them on our web sites yet so you will need to call or email.

3 hours ago, indyspirits said:

Or you can make your own grounding "kit" from about $3 worth of parts from Lowes or any other big box store.  

Yes you can make your own grounds.  Just make sure that you ground both the inlet and outlet of the pump.  Some pumps like the floject G70 come with grounding terminals built in, while most other double diaphram pumps don't.

Just an addendum to what hottytoddy said.  Centrifugal pumps work well for wash with no solids but they do not work well for grain in mashes.  For grain in mashes, patato mashes, black eyed pea mashes and grappa mashes, 3 types of pumps are best Rotary Lobe, Double Diaphragm and Flexible Impeller Pumps.