Mash tun/stripping still combo

Madshine

Are there any mash tun/stripping still combos that any of you guys have had sucess with? Id like something around 200 gallons that i can mash/ferment/distill with. Preferably electric bain marie style. Ill be using a mostly corn mash bill as well. Im in the planning stages of my small distillery and if i can do everything in one unit to save space that would be a bonus. 

Silk I have sold over 100 mash tun stills and there is a good reason for that.  It works much much better for some people to start that way.  Here is why.  It is very simple:  My combination mash tuns stills are the same price as my stills.  Most people start out with zero orders or very few orders and little demand.  My combination mash tun stills allow you to do 1 mash cook and 1 whiskey run in an 8 hr day.  Once demand increases the customer can add a dedicated mash tun which allows them to double up on production.  I size the steam boiler where they can add the mash tun later and still have plenty of steam capacity.  The majority of my customers who started out with mash tun stills come back within the first 2 years and buy the mash tuns which i generally keep in stock.  In this fashion people can start with smaller budgets and add capacity as needed.

I also tell people that if they want to get started with a smaller budget they can start out with HDPE fermenters and I can sell them stainless ones when they have made some money.  What this does is allow people with smaller budgets to get in the business for less and if it looks like a bottle neck situation is about to occur they simply order more equipment from me.  This kind of outside the box thinking is one reason that I have been so successful. I am not here to supply the general needs of most distillers.  I am here to supply the specific needs of any and all distillers. Also my customers see that I am not an upseller and that I really want to do is to make them successful by fulfilling their particular needs which may be very different than yours.  You know, like the 300 gallon and 500 gallon baine marie stills that I have sold that work so well for certain people but not for most.  Fallow?  There are many different ways to skin this cat and just because one way would not work the best for you that does not mean that it won't work best for someone else.  I have even sold combination corn mash cooker lauter Tun stills but they cost more than a still of the same size.

Yes, I did because I love to teach things to others and have them look at things differently.  It's not a bottle neck if your orders do not out run your production.  It never becomes a bottle neck if you add the mash tun before the orders out run production.

So if madshine cooks his mash and then ferments for 6 days and then distills and can meet his orders there is no bottleneck.  In fact his process is much smoother than yours because he does not have to move mash etc.  See, no bottleneck. Smooth production. 

Then when it appears that he needs more production he buys fermenters, then if he needs more production he buys a mash tun.  He has decreased his up front  risk s and start up costs and he suffers no drawbacks.  It is a win win situation.  That is what I want.

20 hours ago, Dehner Distillery said:

No kidding.  

I agree with the bottle neck.

The proof is in the pudding.  I have sold over 100 of them and they work great for my customer's needs.  This kind of outside of the box thinking has allowed me to sell stills to over 300 distilleries that typically purchase complete sets of equipment from me.  Currently we are selling 1 to 3 large systems per week, so our market share is growing.  My combination mash tun stills are a great option for many customers. Also they are not a bottle neck for the customers that I sell to for the reasons that I have given.  Once it appears that their orders dictate production requirements will cause a bottle neck they simply buy a dedicated mash tun from me.  It's that simple.  I do hope that you and my other competitors never start selling them, that way I can keep all of that business for myself.

Seeing your replies has reminded me that we need to get our new continuas stripping still prototype into the lab in the next few weeks.  It has several improvements over model 1.0

As far as long explanations, that is my nature and my prerogative.

On 1/25/2019 at 11:43 AM, Southernhighlander said:

The proof is in the pudding.  I have sold over 100 of them and they work great for my customer's needs.  This kind of outside of the box thinking has allowed me to sell stills to over 300 distilleries that typically purchase complete sets of equipment from me.  Currently we are selling 1 to 3 large systems per week, so our market share is growing.  My combination mash tun stills are a great option for many customers. Also they are not a bottle neck for the customers that I sell to for the reasons that I have given.  Once it appears that their orders dictate production requirements will cause a bottle neck they simply buy a dedicated mash tun from me.  It's that simple.  I do hope that you and my other competitors never start selling them, that way I can keep all of that business for myself.

Seeing your replies has reminded me that we need to get our new continuas stripping still prototype into the lab in the next few weeks.  It has several improvements over model 1.0

As far as long explanations, that is my nature and my prerogative.

O MY. Nice dig. Well played sir.

If you need any pointers on building a continuous Still, and making it work correctly please just give me a call. 

Thanks Dehner, i really appreciate the offer. Actually I worked with a guy that was a design engineer for Vendome for several years before he went out on his own  He traded me his design, which has been changed and upgraded since he worked for vendome, for some parts and components, so we are using that design however, the design is for a 36" diameter continuas stripping still.  When we scaled it down to a 4" diameter prototype we had some issues with the thick grain in corn mash clogging the plates but we believe that we have solved that issue with our new design.  We just haven't tested it yet.  I have not been in a big hurry because I can sell a pot stripping still with the same throughput as a continuous still at a better price than our competitors sell the continuas strippers for, however at the same time I am getting more interested because we can sell our continuas stipping stills at an even better price.  the only thing is i am really deep int developing our next generation vacuum stills.

Paul Southernhighlander,

What kind and how many plates are you using in your 4" continuous still? How many gal per min could it run? Was it a 20gal beer or thicker that you were having clogging issues with? Old Glory Distillery was telling me they were having trouble losing alcohol out the bottom of their continuous column. I believe they also couldn't get a reasonable proof with that still either. Have you seen those issues with your continuous still?  

2 lbs of corn per gallon of water.  Had some issues with ethanol collecting in the bottom with a different wash but we adjusted that out..  The main issue  was clogging.  We think that we have solved that however we are currently testing new extraction equipment designs as well as chromatographic process equipment, molecular sieves  and other equipment for producing CBD isolate crystals and CBD isolate in powder form.  We have had our latest short path vacuum still in the lab for the last 4 weeks and we are still making improvements, so I am looking at it being in there for another 3 weeks at least then we had planned to have our falling film prototype go in after that.  This design work gets higher priority then the continuas stripping still. 

We have already started on a process facility for a customer that will ultimately process around 8,000 lbs of plant material per day.  We are installing that equipment in 4 phases.  Phase one is almost complete and will be operational within the next 2 weeks or so. Our largest system for hemp before that is in operation that reclames the ethanol and concentrated the oil from 900 lbe of plant material per day.  We have several other smaller ethanol extraction and reclamation/concentration equipment systems in operation, with some being in operation for over 2 years.  Our new designs are very fast.  My short path vacuum, ethanol reclamation and oil concentration still will complete a run in 2 hrs, distilling at 80F, running 185 proof in the pot, reclaiming at 192 proof.  They will do that whether it is an 8 gallon/8lb system or a 2500 gallon/2500 lb system.  The falling films will cut that time in half.  The new designs that we are working on will go into the largest hemp to CBD processing facility  in the US down in AR.  I am doing a presentation on the 5th to a group of wealthy farmers planning on building a large hemp to CBD process facility in MO.  Now that the American Row Farmer is in this business, you are going to see some size put into it.

The continuas stripping still will have to take a back burner at this time.  We have a great deal more demand for stripping pot stills than column stripping stills anyway.  However, we will get the new design in the lab in the late spring or early summer.